Advice needed on Freeview HD box please!

hiwatt 15:28 14 Jul 10

Hi folks,I'm wanting to buy my partner an HD freeview box.My pal bought a freeview box which has an 160 gig hardrive enabling him to record and store his programs on the box.He can record 3 different channels at once but it isn't HD.As my partner has an HD ready TV and loves her television I would like to get her one of the HD freeview boxes.She would like the Sky+ box but it's just too much for now to have another monthly bill.So does anyone here have one and could recommend a good/reasonable priced one?Any help is much appreciated.Thanks.

Press Man 15:43 14 Jul 10

hiwatt,

Have a look at this click here I got this unit plus installation of the dish just before the World Cup started. Happy with it all.

hiwatt 16:00 14 Jul 10

That looks excellent.However I'm looking for something less expensive unfortunately.I've heard they can be bought for around £100?and was just curious to see if anyone on here had one or was looking at getting one?My mates is great,his was only £89 only it's not HD.Cheers.

Simsy 16:21 14 Jul 10

That there is anything else out there at the moment, apart fromthe Humax box Press Man has linked to...

There are HD freeview boxes, and HDD recorders, but I don't think you'll get both in one box for £100...

I'm happy to be corrected though!

Regards,

Simsy

Eric10 16:40 14 Jul 10

I don't have one myself so can't give you direct advice on best buys but I can confirm that Freeview HD boxes can be had for around £100 at the cheaper end of the market. However, your post gives the impression that you want the ability to record HD and the £100 ones do not have a hard drive. Freeview Recorders with a hard drive are still thin on the ground and £300 or more will be nearer the price for one at this time.
Also, the one in Press Man's link is a FreeSat HD recorder needing a satelite dish while you say you are looking for FreeView HD which is not the same thing.

hiwatt 18:23 14 Jul 10

You are spot on.I've found quite a few quite a bit cheaper than £100 but they don't have the record function.I'll definitely need to pay a bit more to get one that records HD too.Thanks folks.

eedcam 18:42 14 Jul 10

Have alook at this forum its dedicated to PVR's
click here

woodchip 18:59 14 Jul 10

Had a Daywoo for some time HD 160Gig Drive Dual Tuner so can record two at once Cost about £145

Ian in Northampton 19:52 14 Jul 10

Just one thing, and I'm sure you've thought of this... Many parts of the country, including where I live - East Midlands - can't yet receive Freeview HD. The other thing to bear in mind is that, IIRC, Freeview currently only broadcasts 3-4 HD channels, so your partner is going to have to want to record BBC or ITV pretty much, because there ain't much else.

Oh, and I can confirm what everyone else has said: you can get a Freeview HD receiver for £100 or less, but a Freeview HD DVR will cost quite a bit more and they're still pretty thin on the ground - possibly for the reasons I noted above...

woodchip 14:09 15 Jul 10

This is the Daewoo if you can get one click here
Forum Reviews

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…