Advice needed for DVD RAM reading.

badgery 10:34 27 Jan 06

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder that records onto RAM disc. I would like to be able to play the discs in my computer, but my DVD RW will not read them.
Any suggestions as to what makes/models of DVD burner would do the job? I prefer an 'external'if possible and as 'basic' as would do the task.
Thanks for any pointers.

rmcqua 11:23 27 Jan 06

How about this one:?

click here

Totally-braindead 13:18 27 Jan 06

Faulty link I suspect, heres one click here also has the lightscribe thing if you're interested in that or drive only in beige click here there are a few click here Novatech do the NEC drives click here

rmcqua 13:38 27 Jan 06

Sorry about the duff link. Try the second one down on this page.

click here

badgery 14:02 27 Jan 06

Thanks for these links, most appreciated. Will now start checking out the details.
Need care as some models seem to be able to write to RAM, but not read RAM?
Or am I confused? Being a novice to DVD burning is a drawback for me!!
Cheers and thanks.

freaky 15:59 27 Jan 06

I have a recent Panasonic DMR-EH50 which can use DVD-RAM discs - and as you rightly state not all DVD-RW's are compatible with these disc's.

My one PC has an LG DVD-RW and will play any recordings on DVD-RAM from my Panny.

You have a number choices: -

a) Purchase a new DVD-RW for your PC.

b) If you record something that you wish to play on your PC - then use a disc format that is compatible with your PC i.e DVD +R/-R. This avoids the cost of purchasing a replacement Burner.

When recording I tend to only use DVD-RAM for temporary storage and play back. Anything that is going to be permanent then I use DVD +R.

There is software available via the internet that will transfer data from DVD-RAM to DVD discs - this will enable you to play them on a PC or a DVD Player.

Hope that helps.

rômanab 16:03 27 Jan 06

Try this click here

Fantastic drive, quick too.

badgery 16:23 27 Jan 06

Thanks, freaky, I was intending getting a DVD burner anyway (only got an LG CD one at present).
Also thanks, romanab, will look at that one as well,same model number as one given earlier however.
Cheers.

rômanab 16:32 27 Jan 06

Sorry, missed T-b's post.

badgery 11:21 28 Jan 06

The following looks to be what I need
click here

Anyone have views/experience with it?

pj123 12:11 28 Jan 06

LG 4167 yes, good choice. I have the LG 4163, roughly the same spec but earlier version, works a treat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…