Advice needed on buying a new printer

barnacarry 20:33 06 May 04

My Epson 680 has finally packed up after three and a half years, after just putting in more new B/W and colour ink cartridges. Any ideas on the best/cheapest and long lived?

Pesala 20:44 06 May 04

Best, cheapest, and longest lived. You can have any one of the three, but not even two together, except maybe best and longest lived like a Kyocera Colour Laser Printer for about £3,000.

So you need to prioritise and decide exactly want you want to do with it. As a rule, cheap printers have high running costs and don't last long.

1. Do you need colour?

2. How many pages a month do you print - roughly will do. < 100 > 1,000 >> even more than that.

3. How big? A4 enough? Edge to edge printing? A3? CDs?

4. What quality? Glossy Photos for an art gallery? Colour covers for a newsletter? B&W mostly?

LastChip 20:50 06 May 04

Try the PCA Reviews for starters, but be aware, cheapest isn't necessarily the best.

For example, I bought a cheap Lexmark mainly for the children and their homework, but full colour A4 pages eat the cartridges like there's no tomorrow (at about £15 a time!). Refills have solved the problem, but not everyone wants to bother with that. So look at the overall cost, rather than the initial capital cost of buying!

barnacarry 20:55 06 May 04

I probably use the printer for about 10 - 20 pages per month so it doesn't get the work it probably needs, hence frequent ink refills, as they tend to dry up.

accord 21:20 06 May 04

my HP 5550 is fine with me, fast, quiet and good quality both at text and photos. Print every day, cartridges from click here

click here for the updated version HP5650 or click here for the HP5150

Hope this helps

Pesala 21:36 06 May 04

Laser printers are cheaper to run, but initial cost is higher.

The Epson C44UX is the lowest price Epson, but gives decent quality and long lasting photo prints. £45 from Simply click here Original cartridges shouldn't dry up. Compatibles are cheaper if you find you do a lot more printing.

The C64 is the next model up £61 for a bit more quality click here

The Canon Bubblejet £40 may turn out more expensive in the long run, but not if you print so little. click here More expensive Canon printers than this won the top two places in PCA review. The Epson C84 was third.

All prices include VAT.

conrail 22:06 06 May 04

I have just purhased an epson C84 for £65 advertised as £20 off, from pc world, 4 cartridges and 22 ppm in draft. they offered to sell me replacement colour cartriges at £9.99 each and a b+w for £24, I told them I can get the colour for £7.99 each and the b+w for £19.99 from comet so they sold them at that price to me, , pc world are also selling the C64 for the same price

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…