Advice needed on Barebones Buying!

artfulsloucher 11:43 12 Jan 09

Hi. I really need some advice on which barebones rig to buy. I've been focussing on Novatech as they seem to be well respected.

I'm not looking to spend more than around £350 on the rig and there are a couple that are under this price.

The dilemma I have is due to my ignorance regarding processors and the differences between them. The two systems are:

click here

and

click here

I really want a system that will handle any multi tasking that is thrown at it e.g downloading audio, basic music editing, recording streams, watching films, internet etc etc the usual stuff, but would also be able to handle recent games if required eg Assassins Creed.

I was advised by the guy at Novatech to go for the cheaper tri-core AMD system instead of the Intel.

Whats the concensus? Cheers!

ambra4 12:19 12 Jan 09

AMD Phenom 8650 2.30 Ghz

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 'Wolfdale' 3.00GHz

Personal I would go with the Intel CPU

artfulsloucher 13:38 12 Jan 09

What would be the differences between the two? There is less than £15 difference in price, what about performance? Advs/DisAdvs?

Jim_F 14:04 12 Jan 09

A comparison of similar parts is here: click here

As you can see results are very application dependent I suspect due to variations in support for additional cores. The rule of thumb seems to be Intel wins in speed per core but AMD in value for money on multiple cores.

artfulsloucher 14:27 12 Jan 09

Is it worth me saving the £15 and going with the AMD system?

Jigsaw616 17:28 12 Jan 09

No. Don't go for the AMD. From ambra4's list, the Intel is easily the fastest processor. I personally would go for the Intel.

artfulsloucher 18:06 12 Jan 09

ok, thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…