Advice needed

deneka 09:16 20 Aug 03

I bought a pc for £40.00 and thought i was getting a good deal. I have spent loads on more in buying extra bits & have been told that really i got conned, the pc itself is about 8 years old and is very slow. It is loaded with win98 & i am having problems with insufficent memory, it has 64mb of ram.

I wanted to know if anyone could advise me whether or not it would be worth buying a new motherboard or hard drive or whether this would just be throwing good money after bad?

I havent a clue about prices etc and really dont want to get conned again. I am just annoyed about spending all this money on the computer in the first place, when it seems so useless... can anyone give me any advice atall?

Jester2K II 09:21 20 Aug 03

Can you give us the current specs including the stuff you bought?

deneka 09:25 20 Aug 03

It is a Fujitsu ergopro x hard drive (i think pentium processor 1)
samsung syncmaster 500s monitor
Apricot keyboard

and i have bought

hp deskjet 3320 printer
56k modem
pci graphics card
and cheap speakers

I paid £40, for hardrive,monitor & keyboard and have spent probably about £100 of bits for it plus labour having it fitted ect.

I hope that this helps but i dont really understand what you mean by 'specs' so if this isnt the info you wanted can you please be a little more specific and i will try & find out.

sorry to be a pain

deneka 09:45 20 Aug 03

Also i am using a digital camera and storing pictures on the c:\.
This is because someone told me that i can buy CD's to store the pics on but you need a cd recorder or re-writable or something. But that my pc is too old to accept this.

Someone please help, i really want to avoid buying a whole new pc after spending so much on this one.

By the way, when i tried to purchase more memory i was told ' the bios in my motherboard couldnt accept it' whatever that means??

JIM 10:04 20 Aug 03

my personal opinion would be not to spend or upgrade.Accept the limitations and use for basic
computing.Win 98 would already slow the system down and adding large software ISP package or other software would just about kill it off.

If you knock of all running programs in ms/config with exception to explorer and systray you will have enough resources to smooth the running of system a little,but with your spec that would leave you with only 18mb or so of mem to play with.

£40+£100 allready spent and if you have to pay someone to fit or configure anything else plus the cost of parts, will take you close to a deposit, or saving up for a new system at a later date.Only my thinking.

deneka 10:25 20 Aug 03

Thanx for your help.

I am just really annoyed about this, the problem is just getting worse and worse the more i add to the pc. like everytime i save new pictures from my camera on the pc i have to run disk cleanup because i am out of space and all i can delete are the temporary internet files and this just isnt helping.

Do you know what the rough price of a more up to date pc would be, new or second hand, just so that i can make sure i am not being conned anymore and also what do you think i should be looking for in the pc..i.e what memory etc?

TechMad 10:27 20 Aug 03

Unfortunatly you do have to accept the limitations, because to improve the computer will lead you into an expensive upgrade cycle. i.e. If you replace the motherboard, then the memory and processor are likely to be incompatible.

I'm not sure if this is true, but many moons ago an Evesham Micros (now its either or Evesham Technology) salesman claimed that an upgrade from a P75 to a PII233 would also require a hard disk upgrade, because the disk would be too slow.

TechMad 10:34 20 Aug 03

Keep your software, monitor, keyboard and mouse and buy the Novatech Bravo AMD XP2400. Yes I know it is 363.07 inc VAT, but you also get the CD writer for your photos. Do you have your Windows 98 set up CDs?

TechMad 10:35 20 Aug 03

Sorry I forgot the '£' for the price.

deneka 10:42 20 Aug 03

No i didnt get any disks atall with the computer itself, like i say i got conned big time.
Its just with the money i have already spent i didnt know if it was worth spending a bit more and trying to upgrade it or just throw it, accept my losses and buy a new pc from scratch. I am not sure on the prices for new or second hand pc's.

plankton 10:48 20 Aug 03

£40 for a very base PC would have been OK, if you had just wanted it for getting used to working with a PC. As soon as you wanted more, it would have been better to get a new one.

Having said that, I've got a P1 which runs '95 and my wift and I use for Office '97 and my daughter (who is 4) uses it for playing (educational) games. It isnt attached to the internet. So don't scrap it if you've got kids..

You'll be best to look around for a decent deal on a better specification (spec), which will also take your printer and camera software...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…