Advice for MP3 newbie

whisked 19:03 11 Jan 03
  whisked 19:03 11 Jan 03

New to the world of MP3s and downloads and i need some guidance on what is good/bad legal/illegal?

Also what do you have to pay for, how much is it and what do you get ie a huge range of established artists/songs or unknown artists only?

Sorry for so many questions.

Steven

Legolas 19:10 11 Jan 03

Well basically unless it states on the site that the music can be downloaded then to download any copyrighted music without the artists permission is illegal but I have heard it goes on :-)

Pier1 19:12 11 Jan 03

Kazaa is probably the best download tool at the moment.

The legality/illegality of mp3 downloading is not going to stop you getting hold of anything. In terms of ethics - it's your decision, but you wont get arrested of anything. Tens of millions of people are doing it.

(Disclaimer, for the inevitable anti-mp3 comments that will follow - I am staying well out of it!)

Pier1 19:12 11 Jan 03

staying well out of the argument, that is

rmn 19:18 11 Jan 03

here we go again.whisked this will either get next to no posts or millions and start of another debate about copyright and ripping of the music industry.i will tell you what i do.if you download mp3's from a file sharing thing morpheus kaza etc it will most likley be an illegal copy,e.g.somebody has ripped it to there hard drive the you have taken a copy of them so you have not paid for the origional,hence copyright is broken.if you download something you have paid for that should be alright.if in doubt dont download it.remember it is even illegal to copy a cd you have bought to your hard drive.lastly search the site there are hundreds of very long postings on this subject darren

Legolas 19:21 11 Jan 03

YEP

Pilch.... 19:22 11 Jan 03

"remember it is even illegal to copy a cd you have bought to your hard drive"

I beg to differ... I always thought that you can copy it to hard drive as long as you do own the original you can do what you want with it, for example make a back up of it or perhaps convert it into mp3 to go onto player, so long as you dont distribute it in any way shape or form....

rmn 19:26 11 Jan 03

i did a posting on this sometime back and the popular copnsensus seemed to be it was illegal but you would not be shot for it.i think it was andy said a legal versus common sense sort of thing.darren

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…