Advice for moving to another Internet Service Provider

spuds 12:34 31 May 14
Answered

This question is likely to have been asked many times, but I am seeking personal experiences of moving from a present ISP to another, and what might be any pitfalls in the process.

My main concern is the possibility of retaining my original email address for communications. I don't fancy the task of trying to inform others of change of email address due to possible future problems?.

rdave13 14:34 31 May 14

When I moved from AOL to ADSL24 that was the time I realised about using the ISP's own email service was a problem. Luckily AOL mail became free so had plenty of time to change to Gmail, Live mail etc. Anything but the ISP's own. On moving, both ADSL 24 and then to PlusNet, I was always kept well informed when I would need to change the router settings over to the new ISP, so had minimum disruption both times.

Jollyjohn 15:02 31 May 14

Ask your current ISP to downgrade your e-mail to a PAYG - Pay as you go account - you dont actually pay anything these days, it is a term left over from dial up days.

You will be able to receive e-mail to your old address usually for as long as you keep using it. This allows for a gradual transfer to a new e-mail address.

wiz-king 16:08 31 May 14

I kept my email addresses by downgrading to an e-mail only account as Jollyjohn advised but eventually the ISP disappeared and so I changed to having my own domain.

spuds 17:42 31 May 14

Having spent part of this morning trying to get a deal that was previously offered by my present ISP, or something similar, without success. I asked about the email address being retained, but the option of downgrade to email only doesn't seem to be 'allowed'. Or at least that is what I have been led to believe, hence my concern and query.

I can divert via some domains that I have, but this will still leave me with the situation of informing those that have my present email address. With a new ISP it would still leave me with notifying those on the present list. Still appears to be the same bother?.

I don't fancy going the Gmail or LiveMail route, if I can make alternatives.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far, been most helpful.

spuds 12:06 01 Jun 14

Anyone else who wants to add further, is most welcome to do so. before I tick as resolved?.

Ian in Northampton 12:44 01 Jun 14

Some possibly interesting stuff here. It looks like it all depends on the specifics of who you're moving from and to - it seems there's no generic answer.

bumpkin 12:47 01 Jun 14

Who is your present ISP and why do you want to change.

spuds 13:13 01 Jun 14
Answer

Ian

Very interesting article, because it does cover my present ISP and another that I am thinking of changing to (who doesn't allow the use of their email facility or address, once their contract is terminate).

The present ISP customer service chatline agent I contacted yesterday, gave me the opinion that I would not be able to retain my present email address. The article seem to state otherwise, which made me think the advice I was seeking from the ISP wasn't being very helpful?.

I think what I will do possibly sometime next week, is have a telephone chat direct with the present ISP sales team.

Batch 14:13 01 Jun 14

If you can't get satisfaction from your present ISP (and so need to create a new email account), rather than gmail or livemail, you might like to consider gmx.co.uk

gmail is an absolute pain. Once you've created the account, if all you want is basic email you then have to go through pages of settings to disable so much (intrusive) stuff that is enabled by default (and is nothing to do with email). Furthermore, the way gmail handles POP connections leaves an awful lot to be desired (in effect, google have bastardised the way POP connections work (e.g. the "leave messages on server" / "delete from server" just do not work as one would expect). I only have gmail account because of my android devices. I suspect livemail is similar.

By way of contrast, gmx provides an email account, plain and simple, that can be accessed via webmail, POP or IMAP.

As an aside, I still have several (very old) email accounts active from previous dial-up ISPs (e.g. freeserve, onetel, lineone, tiscali). These seems to have been maintained (and all are now with TalkTalk) regardless of me having switch to other (broadband) ISPs.

sunnystaines 15:23 01 Jun 14

never had one go smoothly, no problems getting the mac code. but getting cut off earlier than agreed and being connected later than agreed always happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now