advice on mboard/processor upgrade please

I have been given an ASRock ATA 133 K7VM2 with an AthlonXP2200 and fan with which I wish to replace my old AMD K6-2-500 on a (TMC)DFI K6BV3+/66. What sort of problems will I be faced with? And will I have to completely format my drives before installation or is that a silly question? (because the BIOS will change I assume that I will...?)Is it the same form factor as my present one, do I need a new power supply? I have watched and helped my late husband with these things but never attempted hardware stuff myself so a blow-by-blow account might be helpful....? thank you

961 19:58 25 Apr 05

If the existing computer works then can I suggest you keep that as it is

The stuff you have been given can form the basis of a new job to be built at your leisure while you can use the existing for web access and anything else you use the computer for.

click here will give you a good idea of how to go about it

Don't be in a hurry.

Scott Mueller's upgrading and repairing computers from the local library might give you a heart attack, but the cd at the back of the book shows how to do it

Anything else, just ask here

Build ATX form factor buying a new case with power supply from Novatech or Dabs. You don't say what operating system the old computer has, but if you buy windows xp oem at the same time as the case, graphics card and memory for a new computer you'll have a system to last you for years

howard60 21:47 25 Apr 05

you may not have to format but you will have to reinstall the os. I agree with 961 build it new leaving your old one working. You will have to buy a video card if the new mobo has not got video built in and memory and a hard drive and cd drive but these are inexpensive these days. With dabs or novatech their own named units are very good value.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…