Advice on make a website

coolteentom 18:45 21 Sep 04

I have made personal websites for friends etc, but I have been wanting to make something more important - and have been asked by a local carpet company to make a website for them.

Could anyone please give me any advice on how to do this - eg what host to use, where to get templates, how I should go about it etc... I have been playing around with MS Frontpage, which I getting used to now.

Thanks,

tom

Taran 17:26 03 Oct 04

Microsoft FrontPage has about all you will need to create a superb website. The only other software you could do with will be a good image editing program to prepare still images for display on your web pages.

Paint Shop Pro, Ulead PhotoImpact, Adobe Photoshop, Macromedia Fireworks and so on will all do more than you will ever need for image editing.

If you do not have any of the programs listed you can use a freeware image editor like IrfanView click here which can do pretty much everything you will need it to and doesn't cost anything but the time to download.

Believe me when I say the last thing you need is to march out and spend money on templates. FrontPage has a lot of themes, some of them look better than others, but all of them are fully customisable and you can alter them to suit your own preferences.

Inexpensive web hosting can be found at Web-Mania click here or Web Attention click here

Both of the above were originally brought to the attention of us here by one of our members who goes by the nickname of Talented Monkey.

The links supplied in the reply by Matt45 are for his own web hosting site and his own web design site where he also sells templates that originate from this site click here

I think it's only fair to point that out to you, although the choice is obviously yours whether you decide to use him or not.

Simon_P 19:12 03 Oct 04

I have used it since v 2000, and find that is is excellent and there are many features to learn once you have got to grips with the basics of it.
Frontpage has many templates included.

There are a few reasonable free templates at click here

For image editing I use PSP 8 and Ulead Photo Impact,(free with my hosting) they are both very good. PSP 9 is just out so that may be worth a look if you are looking to buy new software. Adobe Photoshop is excellent but you will need deep pockets.

I use click here;jsessionid=6FF178B1B1C4EF8ADF37A8418F4A8DC4.TC30a?__frame=_top for my hosting, they are cheap and I have had no major problems with them.

Simon_P 19:16 03 Oct 04

Sorry about the dodgy link, but it works ok!

Forum Editor 23:41 05 Oct 04

when with a bit of work you can design your own that are every bit as good as those you'll see elsewhere. 'Playing around' with FP (as you put it) is precisely the way to learn its finer points, and the more you delve the more you'll find. I've used FP for years, and I'm still finding hidden treasure in the latest version.

If you still feel that you would prefer to work with a ready-made template for speed I suggest you take a look at an excellent FP resource
click here

Incidentally, I've deleted the post in which another forum member attempted to pretend that he was recommending a site which in reality is his own business. We prefer not to have self-promotion along those lines in the forum.

Baledor 12:20 06 Oct 04

If your website is going to be dynamic then you will need IIS or CF server, depending which langauge you are going to use.

If it is static then FP will see you fine.

Taran 13:12 06 Oct 04

FrontPage is, in fact, the most comprehensive application currently on the market for connecting to and utilising more data source types than any other web authoring program. Other programs may have more built-in point and click behaviours for dynamic languages but FrontPage leaves them in the dust for being able to handle so many different data types on alternative platforms.

Its ASP and XML capabilities are streets ahead of many other applications and you can also use PHP within FrontPage, allowing you to utilise Apache hosting.

Baledor 14:19 06 Oct 04

You haven't a clue what your talking about. If you read the answer I said "you will need IIS or CF SERVER!"

If I went with FP to our developers here and told them to put away VS.NET and get on FP, I know exactly what they would tell me to do.

Forum Editor 17:51 06 Oct 04

Really?

Apart from being an incredibly rude thing to say about someone who develops web sites for a living, and also lectures to College students on the subject, it's also a very foolish thing to say.

Visual Studio.NET is used for developing applications - not for designing web sites for carpet shops. FrontPage - more particularly FP 2003 - is streets ahead of any other mainstream design application when it comes to data-driven sites, and it's used extensively. Some of the world's largest companies have sites designed in FrontPage, and anyone who dismisses it in the way Baledor has done needs an elementary lesson in web-site development.

I'm not normally so pointed, but on this occasion I'm prepared to make an exception. Taran is one of our most respected and knowledgeable contributors, and has forgotten more about web design than most people will ever know.

Forum Editor 18:08 06 Oct 04

that you can open and edit a FP 2003 site in DreamWeaver, and in FP you can work collaboratively with people who are using DreamWeaver - you get the best of both worlds. So, if you fancy dabbling in the DreamWeaver pond after you've got the feel of FP there's no need to start from scratch - just open your FP site in DW and carry on.

You didn't actually mention a need to design a dynamic site, or interact with data sources, but of course you can do so in FP if you wish. If you run the site on a Windows 2003 server with Sharepoint services installed you can develop sites into which your visitors can post information direct from their browsers - but I suspect all that is a bit OTT for a carpet shop site.

Taran 01:44 07 Oct 04

If I have somehow caused offence, Baledor, then I apologise for that. Personally I don't see anything in my addition to the thread that may have rattled you, but there we are.

Being the mild-mannered type of chap that I am I have to say that if you choose to think that I don't know what I'm talking about, that's entirely up to you. You may be surprised at how indifferent I am to that viewpoint.

I did read your answer, contrary to what you may think, and you not only said "...you will need IIS or CF server, depending which language you are going to use", you also ended by saying "If it is static then FP will see you fine."

My comments were intended to point out that FrontPage is, in fact, an excellent choice for ANY site, whether static or dynamic. I notice that you failed to mention Apache at all, which is only the most popular web hosting environment on the planet by an enormous margin.

I use Visual Studio.NET quite a lot, especially when I teach it, and although it has much to recommend it for certain tasks it is not any sort of be all and end all for general web authoring and is especially unsuited to someone who wanted to know how best to get going with the software they have (FrontPage) to create a site for a local firm.

Had coolteentom mentioned that they owned Visual Studio.NET it is fair to assume that replies would have been offered on that basis. Since Visual Studio.NET was not mentioned and FrontPage was, help was offered along those lines which seemed appropriate, all things considered.

Just for the record, I have developed some very, very large intranet applications and several Content Management Systems (one has been sold and has now evolved into a commercial product) from the ground up using, yes, you guessed it, FrontPage (2000, 2002 and 2003) with underlying MS SQL or Access databases. I also work extensively with Macromedia and Adobe products, PHP/MySQL, CFML and, when the need arises, Visual Studio, among others. Believe that or not as you choose - it doesn't alter the truth of it.

I don't want this to turn into some sort of mine's bigger than yours argument - that becomes a totally pointless exercise and achieves nothing. Won't all my clients over the years be vastly disappointed though, when the word gets out that I don't know what I'm talking about. All this time I must have been just pretending to be a web designer/developer; and whatever will my staff and students think ?

;o)

My sincere apologies go to coolteentom, who only wanted to know how to get started with FrontPage and perhaps a few templates but whose thread appears to have gone off on a tangent somehow.

Sorry, coolteentom. The forum isn't usually like this and I hope it hasn't put you off in any way.

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…