Advice on low battery alarm

Stymied 17:56 02 Dec 10

I have a Dell Inspiron 640m running on Windows XP.

Recently I haven't been hearing or seeing the low battery alarm. I used to have a modest beep which I sometimes missed, but not all the time. As a result, when I'm engrossed, and don't check the taskbar, my laptop powers down abruptly. Abruptly is just my point of view. I think the audio might have changed in a recent problematic episode when files were corrupted.

I know how to change the audio warning in the Control Panel but I'm overwhelmed by the sound options. I can't find a way to preview the sound, like you can with a mobile phone.

Dear expert on what the sounds sound like, be my guest. Please advise me, from the options available for Windows XP, on a sound which I could not fail to miss, but that will not irritate my fellow commuters.

Thank you. And every time I hear the audio beep, I'll thank you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:04 02 Dec 10

Open Power Options in Control Panel.

Click the Alarms tab.

In Low battery alarm and Critical battery alarm, specify the settings you want by dragging the slider.

Click Alarm Action to select the type of alarm notification and power level you want.

To open Power Options, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Power Options.

If you want your computer to shut down when the alarm occurs, click When the alarm goes off, the computer will in the Alarm Actions dialog box.

You can set a low battery alarm, a critical battery alarm, or both.

Using Power Options in Control Panel, you can adjust any power management option that your computer's unique hardware configuration supports. Because these options may vary widely from computer to computer, the options described may differ from what you see. Power Options automatically detects what is available on your computer and shows you only the options that you can control.

To automatically put your computer into hibernation

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Open Power Options in Control Panel.

Click the Hibernate tab, select the Enable hibernate support check box, and then click Apply.

If the Hibernate tab is unavailable, your computer does not support this feature.

Click the APM tab, click Enable Advanced Power Management support, and then click Apply.

The APM tab is unavailable on ACPI-compliant computers. ACPI automatically enables Advanced Power Management, which disables the APM tab.

Click the Power Schemes tab, and then select a time period in System hibernates. Your computer hibernates after it has been idle for the specified amount of time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Portable power and versatile design let down by expensive accessories and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best design TV series, films & documentaries

iPhone 7 Plus vs Sony Xperia XZ Premium comparison preview: Superb camera gives Sony the edge - on…