Advice on laptop for teenage daughter

shepthedog 16:49 01 Oct 06

My daughter has been given permission to raid her bank account to buy a laptop. She plans to use it for internet surfing, music listening & downloading, word applications for school, storing digital photos and playing some games (not necessarily in that order).

I have done a quick bit of research for the sub £500 bracket and found two possibles -

1) Acer Aspire 1642zwlmi at £479.99 (Comet). 15.4" widescreen, Pentium M735A processor, 1gb RAM, 80gb HDD, XP Home.

2) Dell Inspiron 1300 at £499 (Dell).
15.4" widescreen. Pentium 735A processor, 1gb ram, 80gb HDD, XP Home.

All very similar but would welcome advice regarding these or other sub £500 laptops.

Many thanks

STREETWORK 18:47 01 Oct 06

The Dell is good value for money and you could search all day for a better deal. Waiting for a better deal is just that, waiting. Now is probably a good time to buy...

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:27 01 Oct 06

Dell everytime. Don't go for the 3 year RTB option and save £100 or so.

G

Forum Editor 19:40 01 Oct 06

Both machines are pointed at precisely the same market sector (laptop entry), and both machines will do the job just as well.

If you asked me to settle on one of them I would be hard-pressed to decide. It's your call.

terryf 21:56 01 Oct 06

Why a laptop, a pc with lcd scren, wireless mouse and keyboard will give much better value for money, ca be stowed away and resists the temptation to take away from home and possible theft or damage. click here You may need to buy display, kbd and mouse separately

terryf 21:57 01 Oct 06

sorry ca should read can :-)

RobCharles1981 22:45 01 Oct 06

have you thought of Evesham? see click here

Input Overload 11:51 02 Oct 06

I bought click here for my mum on Saturday from Pc World, I'm very impressed with it.

Enoch 12:31 02 Oct 06

I have been running a Dell laptop for over five years with no complaints. In addition I cannot praise enough the tech support of Dell even though I am an experienced PC user

Ross Murray 15:42 02 Oct 06

Both are good, but I feel Acer offer better value for money on their, in my opinion , great entry level laptops.

Mad Mick 22:28 02 Oct 06

I bought this Acer for my granddaughter form Comet and it is a good workhorse. It will do all that you put in your brief. The technical helpline in the Phillipines is excellent and free!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced