Advice - Internet phone adapter

MaxUpload 17:52 29 Mar 09

Family members living abroad have recently had an Internet Phone Adapter installed on their broadband connection for making phonecalls to UK landlines.It works a treat!

My question is whether installing such an adapter here in the UK will allow phonecalls abroad to that adapter.

In other words Adapter to Adapter calls.

The unit they have is - click here

john bunyan 18:09 29 Mar 09

I think you need an internet phone line supplier too. I have Vonage - (see Vonage.co.uk) and for about £8 a month get free 24 hour calls to a range of countries - in my case UK, Ireland, Germany, USA, Canada, Australia. They do other packs. They supply a small adapter you connect to your wireless router/modem (then plug in any phone)and they also give you a (second) phone number. PC does not need to be on. There are others such as Skype. I keep a BT line in case internet or modem goes down.

DieSse 19:27 29 Mar 09

Yes - you will need a VoIP service provider too. You should enquire of your overseas family members who they use - you may find they use a service provided by their ISP (I have one that works that way.). My service gives me a regular telephone number too - so to the outside world my connection looks much like a regular telephone.

This box is merely the hardware - the facilities and charges are entirely down to the service used. One such free service is SiPPhone click here which gives free calls from one sipphone user to another.

MaxUpload 20:25 29 Mar 09

Thanks DieSse and john bunyan.

I have emailed to ask what software is being used so will let this thread run until I get more information.

john bunyan 20:44 29 Mar 09

I am sure there are a few such providers and packages. Vonage behaves exactly like a normal phone - you can phone anyone on normal BT style phones - not just fellow suscribers.

EnzoVNG 18:42 30 Mar 09

Hey guys

Thanks for mentioning Vonage in your conversation.

I am a member of their Online Support team and would be great to help you guys if you have any questions regarding our product.

Max, as John has already mentioned, to use Vonage you only need a broadband connection (obviously a phone line if you are not on cable) and once you plug your phone into our Vonage box you can use it as a normal or second landline.

Also, if you need to call your friends/family in the US, we have few different packages which might help you - check them here click here

We can also provide you with a virtual US number! This will function as a second line and your friends from the US will be able to call you at a normal US rate (FREE if they adopt Vonage as well)

I hope this gives you an overall idea on what we can offer but please do not hesitate to give me a shout and let me know if you have any questions

Ciao
:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos