Advice-internet page loading erratic

dagwoood 14:34 21 May 04

I'd noticed over the past couple of weeks that when I go to sites it takes longer to connect and when it does connect the page will load in fits and starts and isn't smooth in loading as it normally does. It doesn't matter whether it's day or night, I still have this problem.

I've been in contact with my ISP(blueyonder)and they have had me perform ping tests and told me to reset the advanced features in my internet options but this doesn't remedy the problem. I've connected to my modem differently(used USB port)and still no improvement.

They're saying that the problem lies with something thats not set up properly on my system, most likely my browser.

I've downloaded Avant and this doesn't make any difference.

If I use the webcache it does improve the performance but only on certain sites.

I've ran virus scans(used AVG thats on my system and been to trendmicros and ran a scan)they've turned up nothing. Ran adaware and spybot, both nothing. Even turned off system restore and ran all the scans incase anything's lurking in my restore points, still nothing.

Any advice/pointers would be realy appreciated.

My system is xp pro, Athlon xp 2400+, 768mb ram, 40gb maxtor h/d. Installed s/w, AVG6, adaware, spybot(1.2), spywareblaster, CleanUp, diskeeper lite, speedfan, realplayer(10), zonealarm. It's all updated, even windows updates.

My connection is 256kb.

Cheers, dagwoood.

dagwoood 22:29 21 May 04

^

VoG II 22:33 21 May 04

Avant is baserd on IE so wouldn't reallly help in pinpointing the problem. Try Firefox and see if it is any different click here

dagwoood 23:54 21 May 04

VoG™, I downloaded firefox and have been using it but my problem still persists.

It seems to me that there is a problem somewhere when there are graphics on a page. I even get a pause when I go to Google! It's realy noticable when I go to the blueyonder home page(this is quite graphics intensive).

Thank you, dagwoood.

Djohn 23:59 21 May 04

Only a guess but I wonder if this may be something to do with your graphic card? You do say it's more noticeable on heavy graphic sites. It could just be the driver needs reinstalling or updating. j.

VoG II 00:00 22 May 04

Have you tried a System Restore?

dagwoood 01:12 22 May 04

Hello again Djohn. I'll install the graphics drivers and see if that makes any difference. I did recently go over to using Catalyst drivers so I'll just install the drivers that came with the card.

VoG™, I noticed the slow down start about 2 weeks ago and since then I've had a new hard drive installed. That meant I had to have a clean install and so I didn't have any restore points that went back two weeks ago. I have since deleted my restore points anyway when I ran my virus/spyware scans.

Cheers, dagwoood.

dagwoood 02:41 22 May 04

I uninstalled the catalyst drivers and installed the drivers that came with the card. It didn't solve the problem. Out of curiosity, I went to PCPitstop and ran a systems test and the results for the graphics test showed the catalyst drivers give better performance.

Cheers, dagwoood.

Djohn 02:58 22 May 04

Sorry that didn't help dagwoood,not sure what to suggest next but don't worry someone in the forum will have the answer. j.

dagwoood 03:23 22 May 04

Djohn, good morning. There's no need to apologise, it was worth a try.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I can't get my head round why there doesn't seem to be a lag in performance if I set my connection to use the webcache, but if I don't use it, I get the "jerky" page downloads.

One good thing to come out of it is, as per VoG™s advice I've been using Firefox. I'd never used another type of browser before and it seems to have some new options to play with.

Cheers, dagwoood.

P.s I'm waiting for maxtor to get back to me r.e.the drive delay on boot up. They emailed me asking for somemore info.on what system/software I have. Still awaiting a response.(Suppose it'll be next week before I hear anything further).

dagwoood 12:13 22 May 04

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…