Advice on how to set up wireless to connect 1 pc

seh 13:45 09 Nov 05

I currently have broadband connected via BT Voyager 105 modem. This is connected to BT phone line downstairs but I have to use an extension lead connection to desktop pc upstairs. I want to get rid of the extention lead and go wireless but being new to computing am unsure whether I can use existing 105 modem with an added router and USB adaptor or if I need to purchase a new modem with router and a USB adaptor. Any advice would be extremely useful

mgmcc 20:54 09 Nov 05

You need to get a combined Wireless "Router/ADSL Modem" - your current USB modem cannot be used with a router. A Wireless Adapter then needs to be installed in the PC and this can be either USB or an internal PCI card, if you have a spare slot.

seh 23:33 09 Nov 05

Many thanks for your advice. I can now go ahead with purchase knowing that I am purchasing correct equipment. It is so confusing for a newcomer like me.

Taff™ 06:52 10 Nov 05

Diagram click here

Router with bundled USB adapter click here= PCW have a whole new range of modem routers at the moment and this bundle is likely to be the last of the line. It`s been reduced by £10 in the last fortnight. It will do the job for you though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…