//some 3rd party need geo

Advice on a home wireless network

MAC 11:23 17 Jan 05

I wish to set up a simple wireless network within a three-bedroom house linking two to three PC’s together so all can share one broadband connection.

Installing and configuring does not daunt me but I am concerned about purchasing the wrong hardware, or equipment that is too sophisticated and expensive for my needs.

Can any of your subscribers recommend a “bundle” or “kit” suitable for this purpose? Also web sites dedicated to this subject on the home consumer level would also be appreciated.

Kind regards
Fatboy 415

Mike D 11:36 17 Jan 05

I have a desktop and my daughter has a laptop, both running XP Home. I bought a Belkin wireless Router/Modem and a Belking USB wireless adapter (for the laptop). The router/modem is connected to the phoneline and via a network card (which was built in to the motherboard) to the desktop pc. Installed the appropriate software, ran the Belkin wizard and Voila! It works, it does what it says on the box and cost about £105 from Curry's. You can get it cheaper, I'm sure.

Mike

ps I'm not a great techie.

georgemac 11:37 17 Jan 05

I would have a wireless ADSL modem/router connected to the PC with the internet connection by cable, which means this pc must have a network connection.

The other 2 pc's can then connect wirelessly to the router (and bb connection) using either usb wireless adaptors or pci cards.

You will also have the option of betworking the 3 pc's and file sharing etc.

This was, only the router needs to be switched on to allow the 2 wireless pc's to connect to the internet.

click here this is the best bundle that I can find at the moment, and I fitted this to a mtes 2 pc's before xmas. The instructions are not the clearest in the world but I found it starightforward enough and the kit seems to work well.

The above will work to the 54g standard which is great for filesharing.

The 3rd pc would need another adapter click here a g standard should work OK, click here or a b standard, worth a read of the reviews

alternatively click here pci adapter

good luck

Stowit 11:39 17 Jan 05

My 2p - a wireless router modem (are you on BB) is easiest as none of the Pcs need to be next to a phone socket. Wireless b is slower than g or super g, but in practice unless transfering large files matters not. Despite the alleged range of these devices though walls etc in practice they are a lot less. Super g is suposed to be best I think. My system is 'b' but doesnt work all around my 3 bed house. (Router upstairs, laptop doesnt work in some areas downstairs, but works where I want it)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…