ADVICE: Home Entertainment Laptop, £500 - £800

Hi all.

I have up to £800 to spend on a new laptop. I need it for:

- Watching movies (downloaded or on dvd, blue-ray not essential but may be nice)
- A good screen for watching movies (I'm tempted by 17 inch plus unless the quality is bad)
- Listening to music and organising my itunes (5GB collection)
- Downloading movies and songs (big hobby of mine)
- Creating mini movies (I traditionally use Windows Movie Maker)
- Recording myself playing the guitar (again I use Windows Movie Maker)
- Synching with my pda so that I can install new software onto it.

My main priority is therefore good sound and visuals. A 17 inch plus screen would be nice as long as the quality does not suffer (e.g. reflection or bad viewing angles). I also want to be able to control the volume externally (e.g. my now dead Toshiba Qosmio had a volume wheel), so that I do not have to come out of full screen whilst watching a movie.

I am currently considering the following:

1. ACER AS6935G-644G32
[URL="click here"]click here[/URL]

2. ACER AS8530G-724G32

I am tempted by the 18 inch screen of the second one (AS8530G-724G32), BUT it has no bluetooth or fingerprint control (external volume control) and the processor is an "AMD Turion x2 Dual Core" (as opposed to Intel Core 2 Duo).

Though only 16 inches, the first one (ACER AS6935G-644G32) seems perfect, but am I missing anything and does size matter!?

If anyone really thinks it is worth it, I am also considering the ACER AS8930G-644G50 - It's an 18.4 inch version of choice 1, but £850 is slightly out of my budget, unless anyone sincerely believes I should go for it! :D

Also.... REFURBISHED LAPTOPS? Worth considering?
I'm not familiar with the dangers of buying refurbished laptops:

HEWLETT PACKARD HDX9120EA Entertainment Laptop - Refurbished 20.1 inch screen! (Portability is not an issue for me as it will stay in my home). £699.99
click here

ACER AS8930G *REFURBISHED* 18.4" BLU RAY LAPTOP, 4GB, NVIDIA 9600M GS £629.99
click here

Thanks in advance,

Mattster.

GaT7 00:15 03 Aug 09

Another one to consider perhaps....

An Acer 6930G T7450 for only £499 click here.

No Blu-Ray drive though. G

I'm now sold into the idea of at least a 17 inch screen, if not an 18.4 inch. My dilemma at the moment is whether to risk buying a refurbished one as £850 for the 18.4 acer is too much for me.

LinH 18:55 06 Aug 09

I have an Acer 8930g with the 18.4 screen and am very pleased with it. At the left of the keyboard there is a series of 'swipe'functions under the collective name of Cinedash. One of these is a volume control so meeting one of your requirements. It also has a Blu-Ray player so you can watch hi-def movies.

One thing you need to check carefully is the screen resolution. They are advertised as full HD,meaning 1920*1080. The cheaper 8930g, however, does not deliver full HD so you will have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Movies still look great despite this.

Hope this helps.

LinH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…