Advice on Hard Drive Upgrades

HMG1K 15:38 17 Aug 09

Hi,

I need advice, which is proberbly basic, on upgrading my hard drives in my HP xw6000 Workstation, running three SCSI drives.

The machine shipped with a 36GB Seagate Cheetah 10K drive, with the operating system (XP Pro) pre-installed. I later installed two additional SCSI drives of 64GB size each.

I'm now looking to upgrade these 64GB drives as I'm running out of space, but I'm not sure if I should stick to SCSI or go SATA or ATA etc (hope I've the terms correct!). I'm guessing that as the operating system (Win XP Pro) is pre-installed then there's no chance of me upgrading the C drive, which is 36GB? I've got the HP Restore Disc.

This is still a great machine, dual Xeon 3.06GHz with 4GB of RAM and is serving me fine for high end audio editing.

Thank you!
Philip

cream. 15:50 17 Aug 09

you may just have PATA controllers with it. click here

Unless you have SATA compatability on the motherboard, look at some 7200, 16Mb cache hard drives. They might not spin as fast as the 10k's you have, but you will get a lot of storage per Gb and they will not be to far behind.

You could then *clone * over the OS and data from the main 36Gb SCSI to the PATA hard drive. £58 for a
click here

If you do have SATA ports, check to see if theyb are SATA11 compatable. These are the fastest.

HMG1K 17:10 17 Aug 09

Thanks, Percy.

The spec sheet from my HP machine reads:

** Integrated Ultra320 SCSI hard drives (10,000 or 15,000 rpm), Ultra ATA/100 hard drives (7,200 rpm) or Serial ATA Drives (7,200 rpm or 10,000 rpm)

** Integrated dual-channel Ultra320 SCSI, Ultra ATA/100 controllers or 4-channel Serial ATA (SATA) RAID PCI Controller

** Internal storage capacity of up to 438 GB (SCSI), 500 GB (Ultra ATA) or 750 GB Serial ATA

I've got SiSoft Sandra installed on the PC - will that tell me if i have SATA / PATA controllers or compatability on the machine?

Thanks

cream. 18:21 17 Aug 09

You could physically look for the controllers or use S Sandra. I prefer SIW free myself;-)
click here

cream. 18:22 17 Aug 09

That should read

You can look for the SATA connecters on the motherboard or.........

Technotiger 19:06 17 Aug 09

Wrong ... there is every chance if you use Acronis True Image to Clone the C: drive to a larger hard drive, whatever larger drive you finally decide on.

Put your larger drive in a USB Drive Enclosure, then with the drive attached use Acronis to Clone C: to the new drive. It does not take long, once done it is then just a simple case of taking the old C: drive out and replace it with the new larger drive.

This is exactly what Cloning is intended for!

HMG1K 09:14 18 Aug 09

All interesting replies - thanks folks!

Technotiger - is it possible to clone my C Drive with it still in the PC and make the image to an external USB2 hard drive? And then send it across to the new drive?

Actually, thinking of that I'm guessing I need another PC for this becuase if I put a fresh drive in the main PC it won't boot as far as to be able to copy the clone?

Sorry for the dumb-sounding questions - I've never done cloning before!

Technotiger 09:43 18 Aug 09

If you just do it as per my previous post, it will Clone your C: drive to the New drive totally - then when you swap the old and the new drives over, the only difference you will see after booting the new drive, will be when you look at the Capacity of the drive in My Computer. Everything else will be exactly as it was before.

Technotiger 09:53 18 Aug 09

You don't need another computer, just a USB Drive enclosure - a very useful item to have in any case.

click here

BTW - the C: drive needs to be in the main computer as normal, install Acronis on it in order to run the Clone operation.

You do not 'copy a clone' ... lots of people get confused with Cloning - it is not Copying as such, nor is it making an Image, nor is it making a backup - it is Duplicating entirely one Disk to another Disk (hard-drive). Both the C: drive and the new disk must be visible to Acronis.

Technotiger 09:54 18 Aug 09

PS - nor do you save a Clone ... it is a direct process from one disk to another disk!

Technotiger 10:08 18 Aug 09

If you are anywhere near me (I am in the Portsmouth area), I would be happy to do it for you, I would also use my own Drive enclosure, saving you the expense of buying one. F.O.C. of course.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…