Advice on Hard Drive Capacity

23790954 15:03 12 Dec 08

Hi there,

I would be obliged if some of you experts out there would advise me on how to rectify the following hard drive problem.

I updated my Sata 11 hard drive recently, to a Western Digital 250 gig hard drive. I have connected it to my system, as a slave drive, and before formatting it by means of Windows XP Pro., I checked its capacity by way of My Computer etc.,and found that it only registered as a 137gig
hard drive. After formatting this hard drive via Windows XP Pro, I attempted to clone my smaller hard drive, transferring the data onto the new 250 gig hard drive. I found it impossible to clone, as Acronis True Image recognised the new hard drive as a 250 gig hard drive, and repeatedly displayed a message that the partitions were wrong. It refused to clone the drive. I then went back into My Computer, but it stil is recognised by Windows XP as a 137 gig hard drive. I have added the file EnableBigLba, DWORD Value 1, into the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM etc., without success.
Many thanks for all advice offered.

Technotiger 15:15 12 Dec 08

Re-format the drive to NTFS.

BurrWalnut 15:40 12 Dec 08

Have you installed SP1, SP2 or SP3?

Have a look click here
and/or click here

DieSse 01:09 13 Dec 08

If the drive showed up in Windows BEFORE you formatted it (as you seem to say) - this can ONLY be because it was already partitioned. New drives don't have any partitions, and so won't show up in My Computer.

In Windows Disk Management you need to remove the existing partition(s), then try and remake it to a single "whole drive" partition (assuming that's what you want). Then format.

Note - you will only be offered an NTFS format for large partitions. XP will only allow you to set up to 32GB with FAT32 partitions (it can handle larger ones, but won't generate them).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…