Advice on graphics card

davcorn1 09:26 25 May 03

I'm somewhat ignorant on what goes on inside the pc so i need a little advice on a graphics card. At present i have a 16mb card and want to upgrade to 32/64mb or higher. I have sdram on my system (just upgraded to 368mb) so could anyone advise me on what would be the best card suitable for my needs. I've seen ads for cards with the descriptions that include ddram/sdram. Does this mean that i would need a sdram card?. I play several games that require higher megs hence the need to upgrade.

Eagie 09:56 25 May 03

How much money have you go to spend? That's gonna narrow your choice down for a start. As usual with computers, get a board with as much memory as possible. Minimum of 64mb but if you want to play high spec games you're gonna need at 128mb. Basically DDR is faster than SDram.

Personally I have a Radeon 9500pro which I am very happy with but I am sure you'll get a lot of people offering alternative suggestions.

Eagie 09:57 25 May 03

Also, what are the rest of your machine's specs -there is little point upgrading your graphics card too much if the rest of the machine won't be able to keep up with it!

Sion 10:13 25 May 03

Eagie is right, if you go out and get a zoomy card, then it may end up creating bottlenecks in your system's performance, ie. The CPU cannot keep up with video card or whatever.

If you want to get a decent card for gaming, then i suggest either a Geforce 4Ti4200 or a Radeon 9500. The Radeon costs slightly more than the Ti4200, but offers some performance increase.

Alternatively, if you are just looking for a budget card, and you don't resort to hardcore gaming, or buyign hte latest games, then a Geforce 4MX card will suit your needs. Or a Radeon 9000.

Totally-braindead 11:40 25 May 03

I hesitate to offer advice as theres no details of your system, however since you do mention that you have a 16mb card almost any card you get would be an improvement. I used to have a GeForce 2 mx and its not bad at all, I upgraded fairly recently to a Radeon 9000 and must say this is an improvement. As the others have mentioned there is very little point spending a huge amount of money on a card when you computer system is dragging it down. Regarding the memory on board the graphics card DDR is faster than SDR so get a card with DDR if you can, both will work with your system, the other thing is do you have an AGP slot, if not you'll have to go for a PCI graphics card. You should be able to get a budget graphics card for about/or less than £50. As an example look at the Dabs Value cards on

davcorn1 07:06 26 May 03

Thanks all for your advice. My system is a couple of years old now, but funds can't stretch to a higher spec system at present so that's why i just wanted advice on the graphics card. I think you've answered my query very well. Below is some info on my system, if it helps further.
System Information
Time of this report: 5/25/2003, 07:23:17
Machine name: BIGDAVE
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp1.020828-1920)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 04
System Model: P1030A-ABU 7925
BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0.L
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.2GHz
Memory: 368MB RAM
Page File: 118MB used, 768MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0a (4.09.0000.0901)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.0000.0901 32bit Unicode

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…