Advice on free Anti-Virus and Firewall Software

Gateshead 11:49 12 Aug 05

I currently run Windows XP Home and have Norton 2003 installed for my AV and Firewall software, however, I am on the lookout for free software which will do the same job. Can anyone recommend good, reliable alternatives? I have been told about free AV software from AVG and would like to know if this is a good program. Also, is the Windows Firewall program sufficient or is it best to install another?

961 11:54 12 Aug 05

The windows firewall only operates in one direction. It does not monitor outgoing traffic. You need (free) Zone Alarm. Don't forget to turn the windows firewall off

AVG is good as a virus checker but some find difficulty in obtaining updates from the free version web server. I suggest you try (free) Avast first. It works like a dream

Diodorus Siculus 12:10 12 Aug 05

Avast from click here - free version.

Works well with sygate free firewall.

patsyanne 12:28 12 Aug 05

I not long ago uninstalled AVG because of having problems getting the updates and now have Avast and for me its heaps better than Avg i can get it to do a boot scan and when i am on line but not using the computer after 10 mins it does a scan again and not had a problem with updates it just does them itself and works great with McAfee firewall that AOL is giving free if your on broadband .

Bagsey 15:36 12 Aug 05

You speak as you find and I have been using AVG for about 9 years without any major trouble. The updates come in automatically and are very frequent. In fact we had 3 updates on Wednesday. Avast is gaining in popularity but to me better the devil you know.

Bagsey 15:36 12 Aug 05

You speak as you find and I have been using AVG for about 9 years without any major trouble. The updates come in automatically and are very frequent. In fact we had 3 updates on Wednesday. Avast is gaining in popularity but to me better the devil you know.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:58 12 Aug 05

Remember the rules for trouble free running

Only 1 firewall, only 1 antivirus, any number of antispyware, AND KEEP THEM UP TO DATE.

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Spyware Sweeper click here
MSoftAntispy Beta click here
Ewido click here

Anti Virus :-
Antivir click here
Avast4 click here
AVG antivirus click here
Microworld click here

Firewalls :-
Kerio4 click here
Nrt firewall 2.0.1 click here
Sygate click here
ZoneAlarm click here

My preference is Avast Zonealarm Msantispy and spywareblaster.

The choice is yours.

Belatucadrus 17:43 12 Aug 05
  Gateshead 19:29 12 Aug 05

Thanks everyone, I think I will give Avast a go along with Zone Alarm. Your help was much appreciated.

zanwalk 20:49 29 Jul 06

Just bookmarking this thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…