Advice on fitting a serial card, please

y_not 06:02 06 Apr 07

HI, 2 months ago I purchased a Compaq Presario SR2125UK PC with Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed.
Unfortunately, I didn't check that the PC had a serial port built in (to connect a weather station).
I thought I was reasonably proficient so purchased a PCI serial card (Startech) with Vista drivers. After several attempts; each ending in the BSOD I gave up and bought a USB to serial lead. I installed the drivers (no problem) then connected the weather station - you guessed ...BSOD.
In desperation (and doubting my ability) I asked PC World to come and fit the card (for £50) - after two hours the engineer gave up!!
I've been credited for all the bits and the engineer’s time but I still don't have the weather station connected.
I then downloaded/installed Virtual PC from Microsoft, installed the card, disabled in Vista and enabled in XP (which I installed on Virtual PC as this was the O/S I had previously successfully used) but XP couldn't see the serial port for some strange reason.
If this problem can't be resolved the only other option is to spend £600 on a new weather station!!

Can anyone suggest a fix, please?

p.s. the Weather station is a La Crosse WD3600 using HeavyWeather software. The software installed and runs without a problem in both Vista & XP

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:15 06 Apr 07

BSOD

What error message / codes reported on your BSOD?

y_not 13:08 06 Apr 07

Thanks for responding.

I didn't make a note of the BSOD messages but the PC World engineer did say that they were standard messages that didn't identify the error.

Sorry I can't be more specific

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:33 06 Apr 07

Try to boot to safe mode and then connect to the weather station.

insyder 13:33 06 Apr 07

Boot your system - Press F8 key before windows starts loading. At the Menu, Select Disable restart (whatever it says) on Blue Screen. You will then have time to write down the message. Hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now