Advice on Firewall please

Bagsey 08:14 19 Sep 04

Is a firewall of any real value when used on a Dial up Connection? Or is its use mainly for BB. Also will it prevent this scourge of Premium rate dialers being put on the computer.

Philwane 08:29 19 Sep 04

Yes I would advise you never to connect to the Internet without a firewall you can get quite a few free firewalls the one I use which is very easy to set up is Sygate you can download it from
click here also get Spybot search and Destroy from click here

Jeffers22 08:45 19 Sep 04

Agree with Philwane 100%. My own prefererence is for Zone Alarm (also a free version) but it's a matter of personal preference.

Must haves:
Firewall, AntiVirus, Spyware/Adware detection and removal tool.

spuds 11:27 19 Sep 04

You can obtain some information, plus a selection of various 'advisory' downloads from click here

pj123 11:42 19 Sep 04

A firewall is even more essential on a dial-up because it will stop "diallers" from diverting you to premium rate numbers. Diallers have no effect on Broadband as they can't dial out, but that doesn't mean you don't need a firewall. I am on broadband and I have a firewall, and all the others that Jeffers22 mentions.

You've no doubt read about all the people who have been presented with horrendous phone bills for calls they have never made to premium rate numbers. So get protected, get a firewall.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:23 19 Sep 04

Agree with must haves from Jeffers22
All the below are free the choice is yours, but keep updated!!!
A good combination is FW -Zone Alarm, AV - AVG, Antispyware -Adaware + Spyware Blaster + Spybot search and destroy

Firewalls :-
Kerio4 click here
Sygate click here
ZoneAlarm click here

Anti Virus :-
Avast4 click here
Antivir click here
AVG antivirus click here

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here

Popup stoppers :-
EMS Free Surfer Mk11 click here
Popup Stopper Basic click here

Spam Killers :-
AvirMail click here
Spam Weasel click here
Mailwasher click here

rômanab 14:46 19 Sep 04

This should protect against diallers click here

mbp 14:47 19 Sep 04

Bagsey, Fruitbat has made great efforts to list a comprehensive "Layered Protection" for your computer. Most or all of them have a Free component that is completely safe and functional. Make a hard copy of the list and start downloading them and studying what it can do for you. Immediately Have a Firewall and an antivirus program now if you don't have one already,and then Read up and use the others ASAP.

On the other hand, avoid having 2 Firewall programs, or 2 Antivirus programs activated on your computer at one time. Conflicts could well arise!

Bagsey 15:21 19 Sep 04

Thank you to you all for confirming that what I told my friend was correct. I am on BB so feel fairly secure from dialers but he has a large phone bill to pay now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…