Advice on DVD writer please

tasslehoff burrfoot 20:59 09 Jul 05

I am on the lookout for a multi format DVD writer.

I have found a couple of LG ones that seem okay and are nice and cheap.

Both seem to be dual layer, compatible with +, - and RAM. Is there anything else I ought to think about about?

These are them:

click here

click here

The black would look better as my PC is a kind of black. Any reason that the other is better?

Or are the better ones available at a similar price point?

tasslehoff burrfoot 21:02 09 Jul 05

my other question.

They are both only compatible with + dual layer. Can you get - dual layer? If so will this be much of a problem?

Completealias 21:26 09 Jul 05

Both the drives are exactly the same apart from the colour of course, the - dual layer format hasn't been released yet so you won't have any problems with that and when they are released there may well be a firmware update to add support for it.

I am looking at getting exactly the same drive myself as as far as I can see it seems to be the best drive around at the mo

wallbash 22:17 09 Jul 05

I bought the first' beige one, paid £44. thought it was a bargain then , so at that price , go for it!

Wonderful bit of kit

bretsky 22:52 09 Jul 05

Don't know if this is of any use click here

bretsky ;0)

tasslehoff burrfoot 00:26 10 Jul 05

Bretsky, The NEC looks good but it doesn't have RAM which I would like.

Bearing in mind that anything I burn will only be used by me, is having - dual layer particularly important?

Thanks Tas

Completealias 00:32 10 Jul 05

Depends on what your burning I guess, if you have large video files etc then the dual layer will come in handy. The dual layer disks are still quite pricy at the mo I think

BRYNIT 10:13 10 Jul 05

I've just purchased the LG GSA4163B (beige) retail from PCworld only £38.76 if ordered via web site and collected from store. If you take into account P&P PCworld is only £3 more and you don't have to wait for the post to arrive.

tasslehoff burrfoot 21:22 10 Jul 05

I'm going to order one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…