advice on a digital camera

carlinglover 10:11 12 Feb 03

i run xp on blueyonder broadband and i am looking to buy a digital camera so i can download pictures from it onto my pc... the question/query i have is on a very limited budget (have 4 kids and a wife who bleed me dry lol) what is the best amount of pixels that will give a decent picture on my pc but at the cheapest possible price.. i have seen a goodmans @£80 with 1.3million pixels or a konica with 1.3 million for £100... this is still a bit pricy and wondered if anybody has advice on this.... thanks guys for any replies

carlinglover

MAJ 10:22 12 Feb 03

My mate bought a Umax Astrapix 430, recently for £50. You can read what he thinks about it if you click here

carlinglover 10:41 12 Feb 03

i have to go out now but will pick up any replies when i return so i am not ignoring you all.lol.. thanks again for any input on this matter

maj
thanks m8 for that the pic looks good for a good price.. but i wonder if its available in the shops as i dont use a credit card... cash only lol. cheers again m8

MAJ 10:52 12 Feb 03

You could checkout your local computer shop, carlinglover, see if they'll order one for you. Or if you live near Hastings, KC Computers sell them. click here

Gongoozler 11:07 12 Feb 03

carlinglover, I have a 3.2Mp camera, but for most pictures I find that a setting of about 1Mp is enough. You will only really need more if you want big prints (about A4) or you want to enlarge parts of the picture. 1Mp gives acceptable prints at the normal photo size (about 6 x 4 inches), and if you can manage without a zoom lens this will also keep the price down.

Patr100 11:14 12 Feb 03

For display on a PC monitor you don't need a mega pixel camera - a 640 by 480 pixel or higher display will produce an adequate image or even a webcam which may be able to be detached as many can be now. However if you have any intention of printing out the photos to say, at least 6 by 4 inches you will need at least a 1.3MP but for PC viewing only less will be OK (and cheaper)

bfoc 11:42 12 Feb 03

As people have said even a 1.3mp camera can produce good results on-screen and a 2mp camera can produce pretty good prints.

The one thing that can make a difference is what storage method the camera has. Some cheaper cameras only have a 'small' internal memory and no ability to take storage cards. They may be fine for the odd snap or two but if you want to take a number of photos it can be a problem, as some friends of mine have discovered.

If there is no screen to view your pictures on, to help decide if you want to keep them, then it can be even more difficult.

A number of sites (Morgan Computers for instance) have end of stock bargains from time to time, so it is worth looking around.

pj123 11:54 12 Feb 03

My camera is only 1.3mps but I have printed up to 10 x 8 prints which are difficult to tell the difference between digital and film cameras.

The minimum to go for is 1.3mp.
Anything below that is only good for looking at on Monitors, prints would be awful.

Pesala 15:22 12 Feb 03

You can buy a very decent desktop scanner for less than £100, take pictures with a standard camera, and scan them in at very high quality.

Quality will not be compromised this way. To get the same quality with a digital camera you need to pay £300 or more, plus batteries, memory cards, etc.

Developing film also costs money, but I expect you already have an ordinary camera and know how to use it.

IanNiblock 08:47 13 Feb 03

If you do find a camera that you are interested in (or more than one camera) then I would suggest having a look at click here It is an excellent guide (if the camera you are interested in is listed)

carlinglover 10:07 13 Feb 03

thankyou all for your advice on this matter and i am carefully weighing up all the advice on what to do..i dont want to rush in and waste money..... thank you all again...

carlinglover

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…