Advice on cleaning up PC

oo7juk 23:33 12 Aug 08

Hi,

My friends PC is causing him so many problems, that much he struggles to access an internet page.

When he connects to the net he gets loads op pop ups and other annoying programs self installing on his PC.

I think he has the basic win xp firewall but nothing else.

What his PC needs I thibk is a good clear out, but I don't no where to start.

It would be most appreciated if you can provide me with the correct steps to clear his system and any freeware (anti virus, firewalls, registry software etc)

Unfortunately he doesn't have the original windows OS or I would have just re-installed the software.

N.B. he has tried using system restore too, but his main problem I think is when he tries to access web sites and he keeps getting pop ups'etc.

MAny thanks.

RobCharles1981 23:47 12 Aug 08

Couldn't you of used the "Search Forum" at the top of the page???

click here

Border View 23:51 12 Aug 08

Hope you found that link of assistance.

RobTheOrganGuru - dont know if oo7juk is new to the forum, but not everyone is savvy with the layout. Good link you supplied.

oo7juk 23:54 12 Aug 08

apologies and thanks

RobCharles1981 00:26 13 Aug 08

Yeah no worries oo7juk let us know how you get on.

:-)

oo7juk 21:50 17 Aug 08

Update -

My friends PC was running really slow. It was that slow that it took at least 10 minutes to open the add/remove window and then a further 15 minutes to populate the screen.

As soon as I connected to the net the screen just filled with pop ups and programs trying to install themselves.

I managed to get some programs removed, but I couldn't remove the following spyware:

Antivirus 2009 - that kept popping up and trying to install. I googled it and found links to spyware removers and manual fixs, but they didn't work.

The manual fix referred to the registry files, but when I looked for them I couldn't find them.

Anyway his PC is still running slow and receiving these pop ups etc. I installed an anti virus, firewall and spyware detector.

I suggested he gets his system restore cd and resets his unit to the factory settings.

Do you think that is the best option?

Many thanks.

T0SH 22:09 17 Aug 08

Malwarebytes will remove the Antivirus 2009 infection, be sure to get the latest version and update it then do a full scan

click here

be aware that even after removal of this infection your OS can be left somewhat broken

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos