Advice on choosing a host

stevesunley 23:04 PM 29 Mar 12

I have put together a simple static web site for my fishing club. I now need to choose a host and would be gratefull for advice.

Forum Editor 23:35 PM 30 Mar 12

That's a little like asking someone which car you should buy.

There are so many hosting companies, and all of them fulfil the basic requirement - that of being able to host a simple web site. Your choice depends very much on how much you are prepared to pay.

I tend to recommend a company called Heart Internet for the simple reason that I have used it for hosting clients' web sites for quite a few years. My experience has been good - the service has been reliable. Other people may have other preferences.

stevesunley 16:15 PM 31 Mar 12

Thanks for the recommendation.

Graham* 23:11 PM 02 Apr 12

With the demise of Microsoft Office Live, I am also looking for a host. I have had a free trial of 1&1, but it seems to use your own Domain, you have to transfer it to them. Will Heart Internet not require me to do this?

MarkJ12 19:39 PM 20 Apr 12

A host I would recommend is They have a Starter package which only costs £29 a year including the domain.

They have 2GB of space, 25GB of bandwidth and the ability of hosting 6 websites.

More information on that package can be found here:

If you want to save another 10% off the price you could always use a promotional code: VIDAHOST10OFF.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know