Advice on checking the system

ray27 19:28 23 Jul 03

I must apologise for asking for advice yet again.
I would like advice on checking out my system to see if everything works.

I have checked all the obvious things like scanner, printer, modem, and ran dxdiag which said that the graphics and sound had no problems and the test? s came out OK.
Every thing in device manager has the correct cross mark.

I have tried to read all the info on the screen at boot up (it moves a bit to fast for my old eyes)and everything appeared to check out OK , the correct memory etc.
What should I check next?

I am trying to justify not sending it back to Mesh .
Everything appears to work OK apart from those beep tones .

All I did was inform Mesh of the tones as I had been previously having problems and thought that I had better tell them as it may have some bearing on them.(since they changed the hard drive everything seems to be fine so I don?t think it has anything to do with that)
Any advice on what I need to check would be very helpful
I must admit I have learned an awful lot from the people on this site and the chances are I shall be building my own PC (like Pops) the next time

ray27 19:34 23 Jul 03

Forgot to mention I have checked and made sure everything is seated correctly and the cd-rw floppy drive ,and dvd work fine

spikeychris 19:34 23 Jul 03

Ray, if you want to read the script that appears at bootup hit the Pause/Break key, it should freeze the screen. If it doesn't then hit print screen and then open paint and hit Ctrl and V it will paste the info for you to print.

Chris

-pops- 19:46 23 Jul 03

RIGHT click on My Computer and click on Manage. From there click on Computer Management then System Tools, Event Viewer then System. You should then get a list of all things happening in your machine. Don't panic too much if you see red crosses - it records everything that happens in the machine and doesn't always mean something drastic has gone wrong. Look for ones that come up time and time again and, if they cause you concern, click on the type name of the error and it will give you more detail.

You should be able to see if anything is seriously wrong but, again I emphasise, don't panic at the sight of red crosses or yellow exclamation marks.

spikeychris 19:53 23 Jul 03

Ahh XP..

ray27 20:08 23 Jul 03

Thanks for that tip the print screen worked ok.

I checked out manage as you sugested pops (I hadn't got a clue what I was checking) there were some Red Errors all on the one day ,refering to system managment I think, but at 1 second intervals and 11 yellow i's all on the same date refering to the cd-rom all the rest were blue i's
Does this seem normal?
cheers ray

-pops- 06:27 24 Jul 03

If your red errors don't occur all day every day then there is most likely no long term problem. The yellows don't mean anything either if they are not recurring and the blues are just giving you information.

Brian

-pops- 07:55 24 Jul 03

Another thing you might do is look in Device Manager. Use the same access procedure as before but instead of System Tools, click on Device Manager.

Look out for any coloured symbols in the list of hardware that comes up.

Brian

ray27 09:16 24 Jul 03

I have checked device manager and everything is OK .
I have checked the manage option again and the only red errors are for 28/06/03 and are all cover just about 15 seconds under service control manager.

-pops- 09:26 24 Jul 03

I would forget all about those red errors then - it is a month ago (nearly).

Looks like you're OK - apart from your beeps, of course.

Brian

ray27 16:24 24 Jul 03

Thank you for all your help I have come to a momentous decision.

I am going to put up with the beeps (after all if I hadnt poked my nose in a posting about bios beeps on another thread I would never have known about them (ignorence is bliss)

I shall just keep all the relavent correspondence and send it back.

If I do have further problems I shall obviously inform mesh of my intentions.
cheers Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…