advice for buying/installing wireless LAN

Flying Teddy 14:15 30 Aug 04

I have an existing pc with an ADSL USB modem (an alcatel one - you know, the green one that BT give you and looks like a cross between a frog and a stingray). I'm planning to buy 2 laptops (non Centrino) for my children. I'm an old softie I know, but the schools seem to expect it nowadays... Anyway, part of the plan is that they can go anywhere they like in the house and access the internet, purely for homework purposes you understand, possibly at the same time as me (on the pc) and as each other. I think that a wireless LAN will do this. All 3 bits of kit will be XP.

My question is: Am I right about the wireless LAN's abilities, and if so what do I need to obtain to do this, and how do I install it? Can I keep the exisiting modem? Will they be able to share the current printer?

I'd be grateful for any steers to relevant websites and/or advice from more experienced users than me!

bremner 14:51 30 Aug 04

To keep the existing modem you will need find a router with a USB input -

You will probably be better off replacing the existing modem with a modem router.

You will then be able to connect to your desktop with a wire to the LAN connection.

Each laptop must have a PC Card slot into which you insert the Wireless Card.

I normally buy Belkin kit but the reality is they are all much of a muchness.

Just to give you an idea click here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…