advice buying a dvd writer, which one?

athenrye 17:54 14 Dec 05

ive got a dvd player buts on the blink i think...
id like a dvd writer, is it simply a case of swapping both over?

then which one should i buy? id like to spend no more than £40, i saw a samsung SH-W162 for £30
any good? reviews were mixed.....

cheers
will

stalion 17:58 14 Dec 05

just bought one of these excellent on sale at pc world £39.95
click here

firerescue999 18:45 14 Dec 05

click here have a good range of cheap DVD writers. I have the NEC ND-4550 at a cost of £31.29 plus postage. This is a great writer which will burn + and - and dual layer and DVD RAM. Hope this helps.

click here

Skills 18:53 14 Dec 05

I have the LG 4163B which I see has been replaced with the 4167B which adds - dual layer support to the drive. My one really has served me well its only refused 2 blanks in the months that ive had it which were both rewritables and ive only had 2 costers as well.

With the support for -DL in the current drive it supports all dvd formats out there.

athenrye 19:04 14 Dec 05

ill have a good look at them

nobody said how easy it was to install them
is it quite simple?
ive got a dvd player in already
is it a straight swap one for one????

thanks
will

stalion 19:06 14 Dec 05

yes straight swap if it's the only drive if not make sure you set the jumper the same instructions usually come with the new writer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:09 14 Dec 05

How to install a front loading drive (with pictures)
click here

alan227 19:12 14 Dec 05

Yes, take both sides of your computer, disconnect the IDE cable and the power plug, take out the four screws holding the DVD RW in then push it out from the back-out through the front.
Before you put the new drive in make sure the little jumper pin (which selects master/slave or cable select ) is set to the same as the drive you take out.
Then just reverse the process to fit your new drive.

athenrye 19:14 14 Dec 05

your the tops, thanks
now which one to buy???
cheers
will

XXXXXX now resolved XXXXXXXX

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…