Advice on boot up sequence please

Never again 14:46 23 Feb 05

My friend has a pc problem in that when he starts his pc he gets the option to boot into windows 98, or a previous incompleted windows xp setup which he changed his mind about.

This is very irritating for him and he wants to know if this can be remedied to boot straight into windows 98.

the kopite 15:20 23 Feb 05

Your friend could try booting up with the 98 start up disc and formating the drive which his uncompleated os is on making sure its not the drive win98 is on but I had the same problem and had to fdisk formatand a fresh instalation of win98

Never again 15:44 23 Feb 05

There is only 1 drive - his C: drive.

It seems a shame to lose all of his settings, documents and programs and spend hours reinstalling them because of this boot niggle.

surely sysedit can be used to determine the boot sequence

BurrWalnut 16:17 23 Feb 05

Try changing the boot.ini file in the root directory. It should look something like this but I've guessed at the Win98 wording. It will be apparent when you edit it.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 98" /fastdetect

Firstly, make a copy of the existing file and call it, say boot.old. Then right click and open it with notepad and make the changes.

If it doesn't work, make sure you copy the 'old' one back to replace it.

BurrWalnut 16:20 23 Feb 05

There should be 5 lines. Let's hope this looks better :-

[boot loader]

Timeout=30

Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 98" /fastdetect

FelixTCat 16:27 23 Feb 05

Start to boot into Win 98 and immediatey press F8 repeatedly until the Win 98 start menu comes up. Then boot into dos. At the dos prompt type fdisk /mbr then reboot. Menu should have gone.

Never again 18:03 23 Feb 05

FelixTCat - I tried your suggestion first as it appeared simpler, but when I boot using f8 I don't get a dos option - only safe mode with dos.

I did that, opened a dos window, did a cd to get a c prompt and then typed in your suggestion. On rebbot nothing was different, just the same 2 options.

BurrWalnut - this might seem a bit basic, but how do I get to the boot.ini file in the root directory, as when I run sysedit there is no boot.ini option

FelixTCat 18:13 23 Feb 05

You can't fdisk from a dos window. Safe mode with dos would do.

Never again 18:21 23 Feb 05

Hi FelixTCat

I did that last time, but it boots into windows
- not dos

Never again 18:22 23 Feb 05

sorry - it is safe mode with command prompt

FelixTCat 18:28 23 Feb 05

That's the one you want. I am surprised that you can't get Command Prompt only as a menu option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…