//some 3rd party need geo

Advice for bedridden use please.

Lynn G 22:03 22 Jul 03

Advice, please, for bedridden lady who can't sit up and use a screen & keyboard together (so therefore could not use a laptop) but can competently manage the Sky digital small keyboard, with no wires, lifted towards her face and glance at a TV screen, to do shopping, for example, or see items from Sky links.
But, as she increases usage, she is looking for a more economic rate than the full BT normal per minute charges. Any ideas gratefully received.

Djohn 22:13 22 Jul 03

Has the lady already got a PC? If so then it sounds as though a cordless keyboard/mouse would be the best option. j.

woodchip 22:16 22 Jul 03

First Voice Recognition may help click here

VoG II 22:16 22 Jul 03

Not sure what you are asking for - a cheap internet access or what?

Sir Radfordin 23:15 22 Jul 03

With some of the new TFT screens you should be able to find one that can be attached to a wall or arm type contraption that could be positioned to suit. A wireless keyboard would then solve the other problem.

As for internet access, either something fixed like AOL (its not that bad!!) or ADSL/Cable Broadband would be the other options.

canard 23:46 22 Jul 03

click here
Tesco internet are advertising some modestly priced deals and their anytime with two months free.

Lynn G 17:48 23 Jul 03

Many thanks for all the suggestions.
Computer, monitor, keyboard and mouse too cumbersome.
She can't speak so can't use voice recognition.
Would like to use TV as monitor in conjunction with cordless keyboard.
Is there anything that offers cheap internet access with anything other than a computer?
Cheap internet access for Sky digital or any other handheld device that allows internet connection, would be the ideal, but neither Sky nor BT offer such a service (only for computer access). As it stands charged for connection and per minute thereafter, works out very expensive. Would be happy to pay £20 + per month if there is anything available. Thanks again.

wee eddie 21:11 23 Jul 03

This knowledge would help in folk formulating a coherent reply.

Although most internet sites would display on a TV, the result would be dire and almost unreadable.

Tishtosh 16:57 25 Jul 03

She is seeking general Internet use, surfing & e-mails, rather than the limited choice of shopping channels on Sky. She can get access now but only at the pay-per-minute rate (not anytime, for example). So, although she has particular needs, her problem may not be that much different from the mass market wishing to connect by digital TV, as it becomes increasingly common. A BT representative understood this point and agreed that it should be available. If that is the final answer, we thank you all for trying to help - unless someone can pleasantly surprise us with something we don't yet know about.

barrie_g 17:42 25 Jul 03

"Computer, monitor, keyboard and mouse too cumbersome"

If this is the case (and I'm not doubting you) I really dont see how she will be able to use the connection to any worth while end, as the internet was created with the sole intention of it being used by computers.

OK so some other applications have been found in the last few years and there are becoming some alternative ways of connecting to the web, but if BT can't find a way to connect you the way that your looking for I dont think that you will have much more luck from the forum as BT will know of all the available options over a phone line.

If you are lucky enough to live in a cable area you may be able to find what you are after if you contact your local cable provider.

roygbiv 17:57 25 Jul 03

I am Disabled (but can use the computer). Look at yourable.com for anything that might help. In my social centre we have laptops with a normal mouse and a large button keyboard (i think it is called "Bigkeys keyboard" )(ccant remember who by ). As for internet access i cant advise , SORRY. Alan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…