Advice on backing up weekly files

23790954 13:25 09 Feb 07

My daughter-in-law runs her own unisex hair salon.
A year ago I built her a computer system which she has been using, very successfully, to keep all her appointments, costs, and business data.
Every Saturday afternoon she has to back up her files onto CD, using back up software, in case anything should go wrong with the computer system.
This means after 12 months of backing up the necessary files, she not only duplicates much of the data, has numerous cd's, but also being so large, the files take a lot of copying. Is anyone aware of a better system she could use to back up her data in this situation.
ALSO is it possible to buy a hard drive which is compatible with any motherboard, so that if a computer system malfunctions the hard drive could be transferred to a system with a different motherboard, and function correctly.
Many thanks for any advice given. Silver surfer.

FreeCell 14:28 09 Feb 07

"ALSO is it possible to buy a hard drive which is compatible with any motherboard, so that if a computer system malfunctions the hard drive could be transferred to a system with a different motherboard, and function correctly."

You don't say what your motherboard is but unless it something very unique then generally yes you can instal a second hard drive into the PC and use this as a backup device. There are lots of software that will do this automatically so you daughter-in-law doesn't have to remember to take specific actions. The two main types of hard drive are PATA and SATA. The difference being parallel or serial interfaces, so you have to get the right type for your system. There may be disk size limitations if you use Win98 but with XP you are fine.

Also consider an external hard drive, which you connect via USB port. Can be used as above and prices have fallen a lot so that a reasonable size can be bought for around £70.

sean-278262 14:51 09 Feb 07

External hard disk and use a program called syncback se (click here)

Run this on the computer all the time with it's in the background setting, then all you need to is leave the portable drive running and every single update will be saved to the portable hard drive. 200+gb hard drives are about £50 these days so will be more than enough space.

FreeCell 16:58 09 Feb 07

I support Astec123 in choice of software. I use SyncbackSE on three computers backing up to an external hard drive across a home network.

Minor point to watch is that if the PC hard drive is formatted as FAT32 then Syncback will not copy open files across. If you use NTFS, as most XP machines will, then it has no problems. It's very flexible, will only copy files that have been changed and takes away any worry about remembering to backup your critical data.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…