Advice on backing-up my dvd's?

freaky 21:46 06 Jan 05

Recently bought a new Mesh Base Unit, this has Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD version 8 SE, plus a Sony 16 x Dual Layer DVD Rewritable +R/-R/RW.

Would be grateful to know what additional software I need to back-up my DVD's?

The Pinnacle program appears to be very comprehensive, but it mentions that backing-up DVD's may not be possible if they are protected. I would assume that they would be, so possibly there are some programmes available that could overcome the problem?

I heard somewhere about a Shareware program called 'DVD Shrink'. But briefly looking through the Pinnacle Manual it would appear that you can Shrink with that.

Also, is it better to buy Rewritable DVD disks or not?

Totally-braindead 22:07 06 Jan 05

Because of the copyright aspect members of the Forum can't give advise on how to get around copy protection. It is illegal to copy DVDs even for personal use.

Sans le Sou 22:52 06 Jan 05

Pinnacle and Nero will shrink your own stuff not protected material.

Sans le Sou 23:05 06 Jan 05

Nothing wrong with DVD+R discs either, especially in a Sony drive.

jimv7 01:00 07 Jan 05

DVD Shrink click here#

freaky 21:23 07 Jan 05

I would like to point out that there is nothing illegal in backing-up your own DVD's, provided they are for personal use by the owner only.

I do not condone the practice of copying DVD's for personal gain.

Completealias 22:26 07 Jan 05

I believe that although in the states it is legal for you to own a backup copy of any dvd / software you own the same does not apply in the uk. Saying this though dvd shrink will help you with your prob

Totally-braindead 22:28 07 Jan 05

Sorry freaky, not accusing you of being a DVD pirater or anything but it is illegal to copy any commercial DVDs .That has been discussed here extensively, many people like you thought it was ok to copy their DVDs to prevent damage, ie use the copy store the original. But its not, it is actually illegal. If you don't believe me look at this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…