Advice on an all-round PC first build

thehereticmonkey 16:11 PM 06 Feb 13

I’m doing my first PC build and I've been using this site to guide me. I'm looking for some final advice with my build as I thought it best to check that everything is compatible and if there’s anywhere I’ve overspent as it’s really stretching my budget at £880.

I’m aiming for a good all round desktop that is quick, responsive and reliable. I’ll be leaving it on 24/7 days at a time for downloading and streaming to the TV/Xbox. So I’m also wanting it to be quiet and energy efficient.

Only gaming I’ll be doing will be games I can’t get on Xbox i.e. Civ 5, Starcraft 2, SimCity 2013…

I won’t be over-clocking it initially but I may in the future so it’d be nice to have the room to do so.

Also I assume I won't need a wireless card if my PC will be connected to the router.

The build is:

CPU: Intel i5-3570k HDD: Seagate 2TB SATA III 6Gb/s 64MB 7200RPM HDD SSD: Samsung 250GB 840 Series Basic SSD

GPU: XFX Core Edition Radeon HD 7850 AMD 2GB OR MSI HD7850 OC AMD/ATI 2GB (Torn between these two GPUs so any recommendations are good)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Intel Z77 Socket 1155 Ivybridge Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Dual PSU: XFX Pro Series Core Edition P1-550S-UKB9 550W PSU DVD Drive: Samsung SH-224BB/RSMS Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl Monitor: 21.5" AOC E2250SWDAK LED OS: Windows 7 64-bit

Cheers!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED