Advertising revenue

ROCKHARD 21:50 05 Apr 05

A friend of mine is the web master for our local football club which is updated daily and currently attracts around 10,000 visits per month. Is there a way of attracting companies to place adverts on the site? If so, could anyone offer advice as to the best way of going about it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Forum Editor 22:32 05 Apr 05

(Like this one) are often audited by highly respected and trusted industry-owned, non-profit distributing organisations, like ABC Electronic

click here

The audit involves careful studies of site traffic over a fixed period - say, a month - and the resulting statistics produce an ABC rating, which will be trusted and accepted by advertisers. The process can be expensive however, and your local football club probably wouldn't want that kind of financial commitment - or warrant it anyway.

I suggest that you start collating traffic figures from your server logs - usually available on request from your web hosting company. You can use the information you gain when you approach potential advertisers, but heed fourm member's warning - don't confuse 10,000 page requests with 10,000 unique visitors. Many people make this mistake, and it's important to understand what happens on the server.

When I visit a web site the server records my arrival (unique visitor) and it records a 'hit' each time I move from page to page. It doesn't take long for one unique visitor to clock up 10 hits, and you can see that 1000 visitors can easily result in 10,000 hits. A busy webmaster, checking and re-checking a site will easily record 100 hits a week, and if you add to that the number of hits as proud committee members check their club's site you will appreciate how easy it is to get a totally false impression of a site's true traffic figures.

Demonstrate that you really do have 10,000 unique visitors each month and you should have no trouble attracting advertising revenue from local companies.

ROCKHARD 18:16 07 Apr 05

Many thanks for the above advice, I will pass it onto the web master. I accept your point about the big difference between visits & visitors!
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…