Advert windows - how do I stop them?

AngeTheHippy 15:50 08 Mar 04

Hi chaps, this is not actually my problem, but a family friend's. He has a Dell PC and his ISP is AOL. He doesn't subscribe to any user groups/forums, and doesn't use the 'buddies' facility either. I was absolutely amazed, when he was online the other day and I happened to be visiting at the time, to see these damned windows appearing CONSTANTLY! They were all grey-colour, adverts for various services - Pharmacy online, Dating agency etc. When he clicks the 'OK' at centre bottom of the window, it just disappears rather than (as I thought it would) open an IE window directing him to the particular site. I don't know how he gets these and no clue how to stop them! I know I'm tempting fate here by saying I NEVER get these type of windows... but it's true.

Has anyone else experienced these? He's scanned for virus and is up-to-date with this subscription.

AngeTheHippy
x

expertec 15:52 08 Mar 04

Go to click here get the program "stop windows messenger spam" and get him to run that

expertec 15:54 08 Mar 04

Or right click my computer, go to manage, services and applications, services, find "messenger" in the list, get it's properties and set the startup type to "Disabled"

shers_support 15:58 08 Mar 04

Microsoft are aware of this issue. Please visit click here and this will solve the issue.

I had it myself and doing this stopped the messages.

AngeTheHippy 16:15 08 Mar 04

I won't be visiting for a few days but will certainly try this out when I do. I've never come across this before and it was bally annoying! It was literally every few seconds!

love
AngeTheHippy
x

spuds 19:19 08 Mar 04

A great pop-up stopper is Google taskbar. Seems to work everytime, with zero pop-ups.

Andy-285277 20:13 08 Mar 04

another option is to minimise te AOL browser window when he is connected and use an alternative browser such as Firefox from Mozilla which ships with an adblocker !!

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…