ADVENT PQD4003 Upgrade or Renew??

gcm25 14:27 02 Feb 15

Hi, I currently have an Advent PC however it is getting on a bit and is getting slower. It has the following spec: Advent PQD4003 with AMD Phenom X4 9550 2.2 GHz Quad Core Processor, 4GB of Memory and 500GB Storage on Windows Vista Home Premium. DVD writer I don't know much about computers therefore I was wondering if it is worth upgrading it - if possible, or should I buy new? I mainly use it for editing photos. I would appreciate your thoughts and recommendations. Many thanks :)

Ian in Northampton 15:26 02 Feb 15

If it's getting slow, my recommendation would be to do a fresh install of Vista. In theory, you have a pretty capable machine there. It's unlikely to be elderly hardware that's making it run slower than it used to - more likely it's all the software/system crap you've inadvertently collected over the years that's doing that.

mole1944 15:56 02 Feb 15

I agree with Ian,with one proviso go get another 500gb drive install it into your machine then you have somewhere to copy your pictures to so that if the main drive goes belly up at least you have copies,but one better than tat do a clone with say Acronis every month/week then all you need to do is re clone back to your main drive or just swap the cables about (Swich of first) and clone disc 2 back to disc 1.

mole1944 15:57 02 Feb 15

Ooops almost forgot with a western digital drive (don't know about other drives) you can get a free cutdown version of Acronis.

Ian in Northampton 16:18 02 Feb 15

Thinking about it: now may be the time to think about moving to W7, if you're going to do a fresh install anyway. I'd say your PC was more than man enough for it - but check here.

gcm25 18:29 02 Feb 15

Thanks both, I think I will try to install windows 7. Is it best to take it to PC World or other shop or is it something I can do myself?

Ian in Northampton 18:40 02 Feb 15

That all depends on your level of confidence... I've reinstalled more operating systems than I've had hot dinners so, to me, it's pretty straightforward. The key is to make sure you back up all your personal files first. (I'd recommend a clean install, rather than an upgrade install). In the old days of XP, you needed to ensure you had all your drivers stored somewhere, but W7 now includes the large majority of them, making life much easier. You could look on it as a learning experience/bit of excitement - or you could decide that learning/excitement isn't for you (and, personally, I wouldn't blame you) and take it somewhere to get it done. I think you can get it done more cheaply than by PC World, though - call around some locals, small PC shops. Who knows - if you buy W7 from them, they may install it for you for free?

gcm25 18:54 02 Feb 15

Thanks for the advice, I may try it myself, unless I an find a good deal locally! I'll let you know how I get on :)

gcm25 19:34 04 Feb 15

Just wondering - is it possible to upgrade my computer to Windows 8? I've had a quote from a local computer company to remove Vista and install Windows 7 including Anti Virus - £136 so thinking of trying to do it myself!

gcm25 19:43 04 Feb 15

Also, do I need to purchase any particular Windows 7/8 Home Premium Package? Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017