Advent power cord

carver 09:54 24 Aug 09

Wonder if any body can help with a slight problem with my Daughters laptop.

She has an Advent 5401 Laptop and the problem is a faulty connection on the power supply as it enters the laptop, you can make a connection and get it to work by fiddling about with it but it will have to be fixed at some point in time.

Question is, is it some thing that can be fixed at home by me, or is it needing a visit to a PC shop.

The lap top was bought from PC World 1 year and 1 month ago and true to form they do not want to know any thing about it.

gengiscant 10:10 24 Aug 09

My suggestion is NOT to open a laptop unless you are highly techie inclined.
This will give you some idea whats involved.
click here

carver 10:19 24 Aug 09

That is the reason I asked before doing any thing, I can take apart a PC and put it back together but a laptop is just a bit different, and a lot smaller.

Peter 10:44 24 Aug 09

Have you established that the fault is with the socket and not the power supplies plug/lead? Sometimes the cable connection in the plug can come away and can remake the connection if "fiddled with" when you try to connect it. Perhaps you could try another power unit, same voltage and current rating of course. to eliminate the possibility of blaming the wrong bit.

If the power unit is the problem Maplin can supply alternative ones.

Peter.

carver 14:15 24 Aug 09

Tried to replicate the fault by messing about with the power lead and nothing happens, it's only when you actually move the jack going into the laptop that power is lost or connected.

Funny thing is it was only last week that I was in PC World looking at another Laptop for my wife, but after the response I got from the staff and manager at PC World I don't think I'll buy another item from them.

John Lewis here I come.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…