Advent laptop Recovery System: Just checking...

buel 08:03 18 Oct 14

Hi, King of the obvious questions here but I have a friend's old Advent 7062 laptop which is running a lot slower than it could/should be.

I want to use the Recovery System, I see that it says: 'Non-destructive recovery: this option will restore Windows, supplied applications, and drivers. This option will not destroy your documents or programs. These will be backed up along with the registry. These are restored at the end of the recovery process.'

I just want to double check - This will leave the current programs and data exactly as they are...but the OS (XP) will be as if it's been reinstalled?

lotvic 18:30 18 Oct 14

"This will leave the current programs"

No, it will only restore any programs that came with it from the factory fresh install. Any other programs that have been installed at a later date will be lost.

buel 21:02 18 Oct 14

Hi, Thank you for that, it's just that it says 'This option will not destroy your documents or programs'??

lotvic 21:19 18 Oct 14

Looks like I got it wrong then, I've just read click here and it does read as if it means they will be restored after the recovery process. Like you, I'm not 100% sure.

buel 21:46 18 Oct 14

Thank you for that. Hmmmmm....what to do....

lotvic 22:13 18 Oct 14

Make a note of the programs and keys so you can manually install them if need be.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:30 18 Oct 14

it will keep data and original progs but any progs installed after buying laptop will need to be reinstalled as will all updates

buel 23:33 18 Oct 14

Thanks all.

Without meaning to maon, am I silly for thinking that it would keep programs as it says 'Non-destructive recovery: this option will restore Windows, supplied applications, and drivers. This option will not destroy your documents or programs. These will be backed up along with the registry. These are restored at the end of the recovery process'?

buel 23:34 18 Oct 14

Thanks all.

Without meaning to moan, am I silly for thinking that it would keep programs as it says 'Non-destructive recovery: this option will restore Windows, supplied applications, and drivers. This option will not destroy your documents or programs. These will be backed up along with the registry. These are restored at the end of the recovery process'?

lotvic 11:15 19 Oct 14

No, not silly. The wording is a little ambiguous.

Unfortunately unless someone has done this procedure we won't know for sure, but I tend to think that you will have to re-install any programs that didn't come with the original manufacturers install.

Unless it's an image being restored then I don't see how later programs can be installed by the recovery process.

buel 17:55 19 Oct 14

Hi again.

Ok, well the only reason that I took this laptop on as a favour was that apparently it wasn't connecting wirelessly. I managed to sort that issue out (It appears that it was just the USB wireless dongle's software that was configured wrong, then I have uninstalled some needless games that were installed on there and now I can barely get 5 minutes after restarting without it freezing up. I even did a disc check but that froze at 36% of the final stage of checking.

I wanted to image the HD to my external HD and possibly replace the HD with a bigger, probably quicker IDE HD but I can't get to image it because it keeps freezing after 3 - 5 minutes after a restart (I can get to the desktop)Any advice, please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…