Advent laptop fan

carver 10:01 05 Feb 11

Hi, my daughter has an Advent 5401 laptop and the fan is getting quite loud, I've had the back off and cleaned the blades and also tried blowing any dust out of the cooling fins but hasn't made much difference.

I've tried several PC repair shops and the prices to repair are frankly stupid, £80-£100 and about 3-4 weeks to do it.

Can any one point me in the right direction in getting a new fan, I've been on the net and tried a load of site but can not see one for this model Advent.

One other thing, if I do get one how go you get the fan out to replace it, have to be honest never took a laptop to pieces before, but I'm willing to try.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:08 05 Feb 11
  chub_tor 10:08 05 Feb 11

This page may help click here and click here is the Quantum TW7 site although I have not seen much on it apart from the User Manual

chub_tor 10:10 05 Feb 11

Sorry that is Quanta TW7 not Quantum.

chub_tor 10:34 05 Feb 11

Not your exact model but this covers Advent dismantling click here

robin_x 20:24 05 Feb 11

I did my Compaq CQ61 recently. Very intermittently noisy fan for months (could be cured by tapping the case), then it stuck the other week.

A pig to get at since the laptop has to be totally dismantled.

Possibly the blade assy had migrated down the shaft so it was rubbing on the housing assy.

The blade assy was a friction fit on the axis and I was able just to pull it off and refit it.
Under the label there was a lubrication point which got a single drop of oil. (Vegetable, I couldn't find my 3 in 1)

The housing was not fixed to the motherboard only to the copper heat tube.

I think that was the main cause of the noise all these months (vibration). I glued the housing in place to the motherboard.

All fixed (phew). I didn't have to buy a £50 replacement from HP/Compaq (non-standard fan)

carver 11:49 26 Jun 11

Since posting this I have discovered why the fan was so noisy, problem appears to be the Nvidia 8400 GPU failing.

This appears to be a common problem, the laptop gave up about 6 weeks ago with just a split white/gray screen.

It seems that to try to over come the problem a BIOS update made the fan remain on all the time at top apeed to try to keep the GPU cool, didn't work.

It effects a lot of laptops made with the 8400 and 8600 chips, just google Nvidia Fault and it will turn up.

Any way thanks to the people who posted with suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…