Advent 800Mz Pentium 2 boot problem

Steven135 18:48 09 Jun 03

My daughter has been having major problems with her PC. Last week when I visited (she lives 200 miles away I did a clean install of WXP SP1 all seemed fine but now when she turns it off it refuses to start again unless you turn it on and off from the mains.

When turned off and on from the powers switch there is no post, HDD light is on constant green.

I thought it may have gone into hibernation so told her to turn it off at the mains which she did a couple of times until it burst back into life. Talked her through disabling power save options and hibernation. But it is still happening.

When I was down I made sure all the connections were sound.

Spec (as far as I can remember) Advent, 800 Pentium 2, 3DFX graphics with 64 meg memory, 512 pc 133 memory, Soundblaster Live sound card, Hayes 56K modem.

Have talked her through a scandisk and defrag, and a system restore all to no avail, its great so long as its not turned off. It will do a restart from within XP.

Bit baffled now, any ideas?

try replacing the power supply unit, these symptoms suggest it could be close to failure

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…