advent 7088 memory upgrade slots

gfpbatpcadvisor 17:30 20 Mar 06

i have recently purchased an advent 7088 laptop, in the specs it says i can use upto 2gb of ram, when the tec (pcworld )was putting in extra memory he said it only has one slot, and a built in memory of 256mg, now if i added a 1 gb stick i get 1.256gb max so can anyone tell me is there only one slot as it does look like there is a slot behind the exsisting one, but this has a wider black bar in the rack and it does not have grips at the side. there is also a slot in another space but this is smaller than a 200pin and is probably for something i am ignorant about, as i don't seem to be able to find much information about this laptop and the e-manual that come swith it is for a desktop pc. any help please

Fingees 17:43 20 Mar 06

I would suggest the first thing to do is to request a proper manual for the laptop.

gfpbatpcadvisor 18:39 20 Mar 06

i believe this manual is the standard one and is not much help even for a desktop user. and unfortunatley if i contact pcworld for info they want £1 to £1.50 per min. thanks anyway

Fingees 19:03 20 Mar 06

In that case, why not go to your local PC World store, and see the technical people there?

At least they may be able to point you in the right direction, particularly as the laptop may not meet the advertised spec.

I know they are not always of much help, but, it's worth a shot.

All the best.

gfpbatpcadvisor 16:58 06 Apr 06

after looking through files on my computer, I came across one simply called english manual, which turned out to be the manual for my laptop, it shows the second rack of ram can be located beneath the keyboard, which can be released by depressing 5 plastic clips, one on either side of the keypad and 3 at the bottom. so much for pcworld techs who said it will only take one rack as it has 256 built in and only one ram slot(a load of crap) considering this laptop can be upgraded to 2gb of ram as stated in their own description. Hope this helps other bewildered 7088 owners.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009