Advent 5311 Laptop, Can't re install Vista Error

teddybear154 18:46 19 Oct 09

Hi,

I wonder if any one can help me. I have a advent 5311 laptop. I purchased it just over a year ago. It has worked well but I decided to treat my self to a new better laptop with better specs. I was going to sell this Advent Laptop and have some one who wants to buy it. but before selling I wanted to reformat harddrive and reinstall vista to wipe off all my personal data. When I bought the laptop it came with no recovery discs but the first thing it asked me to do when I switched it on was to make a recovery disc. So I followed instructions on screen and inserted a disc and made recovery disc. I then put it away in a safe place. I put this recovery disc in laptop this morning and it took me to a menu for repairing or re installing windows vista. I clicked to reinstall vista, and it prepared and formatted hard drive fine, it copied all files over fine then it started installing vista and about 1/4 way though installing vista, It cam up with the following error message (Error applying Vista.WIM)and would not continue installing vista. I am now left with a laptop that I cant use as it does not have a operating system installed. what could the problem be. Why wont vista install and what can I do to fix it. Is it likely to be a problem with my recovery disc or the laptop its self. although I don't think it is the disc it isn't scratched or any thing and I followed the instructions exactly to make it. I can buy a new recovery disc from advent but don't want to waste £40 on one if it is more likely a problem with the laptop.

Any advice would be much appreciated

thanks in advance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:22 19 Oct 09

Wim is a windows image file essentially a database of the files on your hard drive.

click here ImageX is the command-line tool used to create, edit and deploy Windows disk images in the Windows Imaging Format. you can use this to try and take the image files from the DVD to the hard drive.

MAybe you can try this first:
Full recovery procedure Advent

1.Turn on the PC.
2.Just after the first screen appears (the logo screen), press the F10(F11) key repeatedly until a recovery menu appears.
3.Select one of the following procedures, depending on which recovery type you want to perform:
To perform a standard system recovery, click Next, and then click Yes
To perform a destructive recovery, click Advanced, (select Destructive Recovery) and then click Next.
CAUTION: A destructive recovery will format the hard drive. This will delete all the information on the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP Media Edition and the original software that came with the computer.

4.Read and respond to each window and screen that appears.
After the System Recovery is complete, the PC restarts and continues into Windows setup. Complete the setup screens and wait until the computer finishes the setup.

teddybear154 20:55 19 Oct 09

I tried what you said above above pressing the f10(f11) key but nothing happened. It did not do any thing and did not go in to any menu. How do you use imageX

thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:40 19 Oct 09

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…