advent 3109 replacement hard drive ??????

tradetroniks 15:31 09 Jul 07

Hi All,

I am having problems with my advent 3109 PC and cant work out how to reset back to factory settings so I am looking at getting a new hard drive,

Any one got any idea whether this will be compatable and will I be able to run XP SP3 on it

click here

brundle 15:43 09 Jul 07

Any IDE drive should do, personally I would get one of these - 160gb Maxtor; click here
Choose free delivery, only a fiver more.

tradetroniks 15:53 09 Jul 07

Thanks, this is roughly what my spec will be if I upgrade to 160GB HD, do you know if this will run smoothly with XP,

CPU Intel Pentium 4 1.9GHz
Motherboard MSI 6547 version 1.0
Memory 768MB DDR RAM - PC2100
Hard Drive 160GB Maxtor 4D040H2
CD Drive 16x Samsung SD-616F DVD-ROM
40x 24x 12x Mitsumi 48X9TE CDRW
Video Card nVidia Geforce2 MX 400 64MB
Sound Card Avance AC'97
Speakers Powered stereo speakers
Modem Conexant 56K PCI WinModem
Keyboard Standard PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Standard PS/2 mouse

woodchip 15:54 09 Jul 07

If you Replace the Drive, Restore will not Work You Will need to buy a new Operating System and all the software that you do not have discs for, you will also need all the drivers for the Hardware of the Computer

brundle 15:55 09 Jul 07

Seems fine to me, I don't see any problem with that - plenty of memory for XP.

woodchip 15:58 09 Jul 07

This is from the link that you cannot open in your other thread

Recovery Disc

Replacement recovery discs can be ordered from a company called "The Tech Guys". More information is available on their website - click here.

To run the recovery disc:

* Insert Recovery CD 1 into the DVD drive and restart your computer.
* Allow it to load and eventually you should get a warning screen. Press any key to continue.
* You will then get another screen. Click continue to start the recovery procedure.
* When prompted change the CDs.
* Once completed remove the disc and press CTRL, ALT and Delete to restart the unit.

If you only wish to install a single driver or software they are stored on CD 2 in the drivers directory.

brundle 15:59 09 Jul 07

woodchip is correct, you may need to clone your current drive if it contains an OS and software supplied when you got the PC - you'll be stuck if you don't have a recovery CD/DVD;
click here

It would pay to invest £20 in Acronis Trueimage to backup and restore your current OS; click here

tradetroniks 15:59 09 Jul 07

Do you know what else I can do cause the only thing that I am worried about is the drivers I have everything else.

Basically I still have 2 recover CDs for the computer but cant get them to run (never done it before) and I cant get windows to start up cause I added another 40GB Hard drive to my computer and it just went into a blue screen and shut down. I have taken the other hard drive out and still the same thing windows just will not load even tried windows last known good setup and nothing.

woodchip 16:02 09 Jul 07

If your Computer will not boot with the Recovery disc, Try going into BIOS setup and check that the CD or DVD drive is set as first boot device. If not you need to change it to boot from CD then second boot should be Hard Drive. Save settings before you Exit BIOS.

woodchip 16:05 09 Jul 07

The drive you added as changed the BIOS config, you should set the Jumper on the new drive to Slave if its a EIDE ata Drive. If its SATA that can add more problems

woodchip 16:09 09 Jul 07

OK just checked your Hard Drive its a EIDE uata drive so there will be a jumper on one edge. The one already in will be set to Master or Cable Select if its got a 80 wire Ribbone cable, the New Drive should be set to Slave or CS if its a 80 wire ribbon

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video