//some 3rd party need geo

advantages of using norton ghost?

canard 00:20 11 Aug 03

Pc is 98 SE and has no recovery disc. Made a backup floppy when first installed and have 3 floppies made when Norton was installed. Is this enough to see an ignoramus thro a fresh bootup or should Norton Ghost be purchased and if so which version? Is making a Ghost backup something that a somewhat below average individual can achieve without difficulty?
Help needed and appreciated.

hugh-265156 00:29 11 Aug 03

i havnt used ghost myself but im told its very easy to use.

i use acronis true image deluxe.its also very easy to use and i got mine free of a coverdisc somewhere.click here and if i can use it anybody can believe me.

hugh-265156 00:32 11 Aug 03

pc answers march coverdisc.

mimram 07:57 11 Aug 03

canard

I have bee using Ghost for about a year (in the office) and it has saved me hours and hours of reformatting and reloading.

It is very simple to use but you must have either two partitions on your HDD or two HDD to have somewhere to keep the image.

Using Ghost I can restore my HDD in under 30 mins.

COme back to me if you have any queries.

-pops- 08:03 11 Aug 03

I've not used Ghost and I did have a problem with Acronis (wouldn't restore the image). It would be worthwhile looking at Drive Image 7 which backs up whilst in Windows and is extremely easy to use and quick in both making the backup and restoring it. It takes up quite a bit of disk space though. If you have plenty of room on your disk, have a look.

Brian

Mango Grummit 08:21 11 Aug 03

Actually Drive Image 7 only runs on Windows XP Home and Professional, as well as Windows 2000 Professional Desktop Version ...... but Drive Image 2002 is included anyway for users of Windows 95c, 98, ME and NT 4.0 Workstation. The purchase price includes both products.

I don't have Ghost but do use DI 2002. If you have more than one partition on your hard drive then you can create an image whilst remaining in windows rather than dropping to DOS.

canard, the advantage of having an image of your C drive is that never again will you have to re-format/re-install/re-load. You can completly rubbish your system and be up and running again in 15 minutes complete with all your programs/apps etc. If everyone had a drive image there would be 20 questions a day in this helproom rather than 200+.

Chris the Ancient 10:26 11 Aug 03

I have always kept a Norton Ghost image of my system on a separate partition (on a separate, removable HDD).

By keeping all my data files on yet another partition (backed up on the second HDD), I can ensure that my first partition on each HDD is only system.

In the unlikely (what?) event of a system problem, I can reload my backed up system in about seven minutes.

When my system has had any tweaks, updates or whatever, I leave it to run for at least a week to ten days - and if all is well, ghost that as the new backup.

The worst thing I ever did was to keep my data on the same partition as my system. You guessed it, I did a relaod of the system and lost loads of data! That was a valuable lesson!

Chris

MichelleC 10:42 11 Aug 03

Ghost is a very good utility and can clone huge hds. However, if you haven't got a recovery disc and it's that which is needed to access a hidden recovery partition to reload or repair your os, then you still won't be able.

Chegs ® 10:58 11 Aug 03

I have always used DI to create/restore my hdd's,only I have now upgraded my system,and I haven't found a version of backup software that can recognise the Serial ATA drives.I tried DI/Ghost/Acronis and each offers the option of backup image of my IDE hdd,but none recognise SATA(I was thinking of getting DI7,but an image of a working OS isn't going to be 100% as certain files will be in use)

Diemmess 11:18 11 Aug 03

Ghost has saved me time and again, though like most security, having it shows a frame of mind which is less like to need it!

With Win98 it is easy to use and because it runs in DOS there are no Windows files in use and a true and reliable image is saved.

Once you have the startup floppy made by installing Ghost you really only need the floppy to run the save or restore routines. (Ghost Explorer on the HD once installed can restore single files if needed.)

-pops- 11:25 11 Aug 03

MG is, of course, right. DI7 is for XP. Nevertheless, as MG says, DI 2002 is bundled with DI7 so you should be OK with that. The (minor) disadvantage of DI 2002 is that it works from DOS and can be a bit scary if you're not used to it. It's dead easy to use though.

Whichever you choose, make you mind up soon. It's very unwise to run a machine in the way you are doing with nothing to fall back on when* the worst happens.

*Note I've put "when" not "if"

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…