Advantages of a router?

guesswho2 20:08 06 Oct 08

For the past year or so I have been connecting to the internet with the SpeedTouch modem supplied by TalkTalk.
Just lately it seems to take ages (ie a minute or more) to establish the connection. Would someone comment on the advantages, if any, of replacing this with some kind of router.

guesswho2 20:11 06 Oct 08

Sorry. Should have added:
Windows XP SP3 Home, CPU about 1.1 GHz, 1GB RAM, loads of hard drive.

chub_tor 20:21 06 Oct 08

My router is permanently connected and always switched on so the only delay to establish the connection is the boot up time of the PC

ACOLYTE 20:26 06 Oct 08

The main advantage of a router is its always connected,you don't have to dial up,also most have a built in firewall and that's a plus.The ethernet connection is also a lot faster than USB and you can easily add new pc's to your network just by plugging in another ethernet cable.
Im sure people can think of a lot more too.

Eric10 20:30 06 Oct 08

Additionally, a router is independant of the computer and doesn't need drivers so it isn't a drain on computer resources.

guesswho2 20:35 06 Oct 08

Thanks to chud_tor, ACOLYTE and Eric10, that's interesting. Would someone suggest what sort of router I should get?

chub_tor 20:37 06 Oct 08

Netgear always get good reviews. I have the DG834 which you will often find on sale, sometimes with a USB dongle if needed for the wireless version.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:37 06 Oct 08

"SpeedTouch modem supplied by TalkTalk"

BB by phone line requires an ADSL modem router

click here=

ACOLYTE 20:38 06 Oct 08

You do need the motherboard drivers if you have a built in ethernet card,or the drivers for the card you do have,or the router will revert to looking for a USB connection,that is if you format the Hdd the router is still connected but wont see the ethernet connection until the drivers are installed.
But yeah it takes very little resources after.

Tulips 20:39 06 Oct 08

Is there a way of finding what is in System C ? I need to find some way of making space.

phono 20:40 06 Oct 08

Have to agree with chub_tor with regards to Netgear DG834, had one for years now and it has always been solid as a rock.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5