Advantages or Disadvantages or 2nd HDD

Ade_1 21:50 23 Oct 05

Hi, i am comtemplating putting in another Hard Drive into my computer, and maybe installing another OS on it or maybe just keep Win XP on it. What advantages would i get from installing another Hard Drive, what disadvantages would i get? - for both installing another OS or not installing one nad using as Windows XP (my current OS)

Ade_1 21:57 23 Oct 05

if there is any posts ill check them in the morning , im off to watch the footy on sky

kinger 21:59 23 Oct 05

More space is an advantage. Two operating systems means updating twice and, therefore, is a disadvantage.

woodchip 22:00 23 Oct 05

You can save OS images on it to retore computer from

lotvic 22:04 23 Oct 05

2nd Hard Drive as a slave gives more storage and you could move your "My Documents" location to it. Or you could use it to store an image backup of your 1st drive.

Depends why you are contemplating installing a 2nd drive. What do you have in mind?

keith-236785 22:07 23 Oct 05

two hard drives gives you some sort of backup protection in the case of a hard drive failure but only if the info is on both drives, in my case, i have windows on C:(drive1), Downloaded files on D: (drive2) and all my saved documents/pics/everything else i want to keep safe) on drive E: (drive 2), i also dual boot windows XP and Linspire Linux (linspire also on drive2 seperate partition).

in the event of needing to format drive C: and re-install windows, you dont lose any of the important stuff. still the possibility of drive failure so a regular backup should be done.

two drives would also give you the chance to try out a different version of windows/linux without hurting your main Windows install.

DISADVANTAGES

Cost of buying two drives

extra heat generated by and extra power used to spin two drives

extra noise from the pc.

to me though, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

billyliv 23:45 23 Oct 05

hi, I have 5 hard drives in my M/C. 1)'System Disk', 2)'Slave disk',(which is a complete copy of my system drive kept up to date), 3) 'Photo disk', 4) Music Disk, 5)'Unused spare disk. If my System disk fails, (Which has happened in the past) The slave disk takes over. cheers, Bill

hi, I have 5 hard drives in my M/C. 1)'System Disk', 2)'Slave disk',(which is a complete copy of my system drive kept up to date), 3) 'Photo disk', 4) Music Disk, 5)'Unused spare disk. If my System disk fails, (Which has happened in the past) The slave disk takes over. cheers, Bill

billyliv 23:48 23 Oct 05

The treble posting occurred because the system said the posting had failed.

billyliv 23:49 23 Oct 05

The treble posting occurred because the system said the posting had failed. Something about 'Cold fusion' whatever that is. Cheers, Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…