Advanced System Care ..... adios!

cocteau48 12:56 25 Nov 08

This started life as Advanced Windows Care Personal from Iobit, a handy little optimization program much praised by many on the internet and,of which the Pro version added a few extra tweaks and consent for commercial use. Over the past months this has morphed ,through endless beta versions, into Advanced System Care 3 but still seemed to do much the same job ..... until I ran it last night!
The original scan came up with the usual handful of bits and bobs to be cleaned up,nothing out of the ordinary,until I hit the repair button when I got pop-up telling me that there were still over 400 registry items which required attention and gawd knows how many optimizations needed to be carried out,some of which could increase my internet speed by 428%. If I wished to take advantage I would have to "buy" the Pro version.

Only one course of action to take then.... I uninstalled it .... but did reflect that it was a shame that,after many years,they have had to go down the same route as so many "will only fix it if you pay" programs and by making ridiculously overinflated claims about what it can do for you.

tullie 13:28 25 Nov 08

I havent had this problem with it,so will reserve my judgement for a while.

Pamy 13:45 25 Nov 08

My old version 2 from downloads of the day tells me it's out of date and some times after a scan says I have to but a licence to carry out the repair, so I ignore it and the next time it works as normal

compumac 13:48 25 Nov 08

cocteau
I installed ASC3 yesterday but have been reluctant to go through with any repairs as yet,- still waiting to see if there are others out there with opinions. I did not have the suggestion of upgrading to the professional version. ... yet.

johndrew 13:56 25 Nov 08

I updated very recently from AWC and found I had ASC3 in place of it. At first I was concerned that I had downloaded/installed the wrong item but when I looked at the operating page of the program as I opened it it quite clearly says `Free`.

The interface is a bit different but all the old selections are there plus a few new ones. The options are easily selected and it works in much the same manner as AWC2. I have `Repaired` everything it found in the Registry and elsewhere with no question of upgrading - the option to upgrade is, of course, still very visible as would be expected. I would suggest it is to all intents and purposes exactly the same program with an updated interface.

cocteau48 13:56 25 Nov 08

compumac
I have never had any issues with allowing ASC3 to go ahead and do its own thing.

sunnystaines 14:36 25 Nov 08

using ASC3 finding it alright have avoided its reg defrag and hdd defrag due to so many problems people have encountered, but found everything else ran ok .

only had 19 reg entries to fix and a couple of optimisation tweaks. I know your are are master tweaker and surprised with your readings, did you uninstal the prev version first?

cocteau48 15:04 25 Nov 08

sunny staines
Installing ASC always auto uninstalls any pre-existing version so it cannot be that.
As no one else has seen this (and I'm sure I did not imagine it !!!)I have decided to give it another go to see if I can recreate the same scenario.
Interestingly the setup file which I downloaded from MajorGeeks on the 15 Nov was 7,641kb (which is the one I was running last night) but the one which I have downloaded today from the Iobit site today is only 7,618kb but that may be down to some extra script added by MajorGeeks or even MajorGeeks posting the wrong version which is not unknown.
I'll let you know what happens.

cocteau48 15:16 25 Nov 08

There you go .... got it again.

click here

sunnystaines 15:26 25 Nov 08

C.48

Thats got to be a record, is it correcting tweaks made by other software.

I found it did this ages ago, with AWC2 AND WINASO reversed each others optimisation tweaks but not on your scale it was only about a dozen or so.

cocteau48 15:54 25 Nov 08

sunny staines

As I said in my first post it is very reminiscent of the sort of results which you get from many of iffy registry scanners which are posted on the web - a free scan finds hundreds of errors but they will only fix the first 15 until you but it.
It is a sales pitch .... internet speed increased by nearly 500% .... I'd be on sites before I even started typing!!!
I also run WINASO and Glary Utilities Pro as ad hoc optimizers and neither of them come up with these sort of figures.
It's just a shame that Iobit have decided to employ the same silly tactics.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced