Advanced Power Mode, Win XP pro

GBL 11:44 31 Jul 04

I use Win XP pro, after fitting a new main board, some time a go I have the following problem, which I have learned to live with, but would prefer to be solved.

The problem is when I go to switch off,through, Start, turn off computer, it goes through all the checks etc then powers down and immediately powers up again. In order to switch my PC off I have to be quick with the power button between this action.

I have seen mention of the following:-Control Panel, Power Options, APM tab, ensure "Enable Advanced Power Management support" is ticked.

When I look in my control panel, power options all I have are the following tabs;-
Power Schemes, Advanced,Hibernate, and UPS.

Nowhere can I find one that mentions APM, where has it gone to??

GBL 13:36 31 Jul 04

I've seen that somewhere but remind me where do I find that??

VoG II 13:56 31 Jul 04

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under Startup & Recovery click Settings. Under System Failure untick the box in front of Automatically restart.

GBL 14:03 31 Jul 04

Done that so will see what happens when I switch off next time.

Thanks, will update when done, but maybe tomorrow.

Stuartli 14:06 31 Jul 04

Have you also checked the Power Management settings in the Bios?

GBL 14:11 31 Jul 04

Have just powered down and it restarted all by itself as usual.

Not sure what you mean Stuartli

Gaz 25 14:38 31 Jul 04

Power on Lan or Wake on Lan enabled?

If so disable it.

GBL 17:14 31 Jul 04

Hi Gaz 25 I do not have this function in the Bios, I have ACPI function, enabled, and others but nothing like you described.

Stuartli 17:29 31 Jul 04

In my Award bios on a five-year-old Elite mobo, you can enable or disable Power Management according to requirements and, if required, time standby or suspend modes for HDD and monitor.

I have it set to User Managed and use XP's Power Management configuration.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…