advanced micro devices update

carvers 08:06 18 Feb 04

i have a compaq laptop which has an amd athlon(tm) xp1800+ processor, version x86 family 6 model 8 stepping 0. (whatever all that means)
anyway just recently windows update has been informing me that i require a driver update namely advanced micro devices software update release on aug 29 2001. my question is do i need this as sometimes windows update tells me i need security fixes i already have and as the software release date is aug 2001 and i did not purchase my laptop till december 2002 it seems not. everything appears to be working fine and i am loathe to update this driver if its not needed but on the other hand many threads suggest keeping up to date with drivers etc. i have visited amd site but it seems a bit too complicated for someone of my limited capabilities to understand which drivers i need. many thanks for any help with this issue.

Diodorus Siculus 08:17 18 Feb 04

If you need updated drivers, get them from the manufacturer site, not via MSUpdate. I have in the past updated drivers directly from MS and this has caused problems.

General rule holds here: if your machine works ok, don't try to fix it.

Edstow 08:19 18 Feb 04

If you need device updates, go to the device manufacturer's website to obtain it.

Despite what Bill Gates would want you to believe, the creator of the hardware (or software) knows far more about it than Gates does.

I have known driver updates from the Windows update website be wrong in their statement that an update is required and then try to install a version older than the one already there - with very unfortunate results.

I suggest that you use the Windows update only to update Windows. Anything else, go elsewhere.

JIM 08:51 18 Feb 04

try updating the driver of the processor via the device manager first.I was a bit puzzeled with the same update problem.

click here

carvers 09:34 18 Feb 04

I have updated driver from device manager and it worked a treat although how the updated driver got onto my system without me requesting is a mystery. Thanks for your help and all others who took the time to reply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…